CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 01, 2003, 02:44 PM
Veteran

Default tricky but simple question about transefing files.

sponsored links

Lets say i have computer A with cdrom drive. And computer B with a folder with full access sharing.

I go on computer A and drag the files on the cdrom drive to the folder on computer B.

Do the files get compied to computer A harddrive then transfered to computer B? Or do they go directly from the CDrom to computer B?

thanks
Noamkrief
in case you are wondering. I don't want to use up the harddrive of computer A too much because i have important files on it and i don't want it to go bad. And I'm compying dvd's into VOB files over the network to another computer which has no important files - so if the hard drive fales - no big deal
So I'm telling the dvdrip program to rip it to a shared network folder.
But really - do those files get copied to my computer with the dvd rom first then transfered over, or do they get copied instantly from the dvdrom directly to the other computer...?

thanks again
Old Jan 01, 2003, 04:01 PM
Veteran

Should go directly to the network folder.
You probably will get some disk access though for swapfile...
Old Jan 01, 2003, 05:28 PM
Veteran

yah - that's why i was really aksing. Because my computer with the dvdrom had the hard drive light constantly blinking.
But i got this program that shows the hard drive light on the computer screen with green light for "read" and red light for "write" and non of them were on unless i opened a word document or something.

do you think using a harddrive of another computer for dvd to divx is good?
the ripping of the dvd to the network harddrive is longer than if i ripped it to the local ide hard drive. But the compressing to the avi format isn't long at all over the network.
I just don't want to overwork the hard drive on the computer with the dvdrom but it's a very fast processor and can compress the files very well.

thanks
Old Jan 02, 2003, 03:47 AM
Veteran

Some m/b light the harddisk light if the device in use is a cd/dvdrom.
Yes you can do it like that but I would not worry to much about it.

B.T.W. if those files are important enough to cause you distress if you lost them, you really should be backing them up.