CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 08, 2003, 01:26 AM

Default Problems playing movies on Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM

sponsored links

I'm running Windows 2000, 128mb video card, and just got a new Lite-On 16X DVD-Rom which plays audio fine. I have DirectX 9 installed. Video files play fine. The only movie I have so far is Shrek which plays fine on a component DVD player. Neither disk plays on the Lite-On without frequent problems, such as audio loss, sporadic slowing or stopping, sometimes stopping and automatically restarting from the beginning, freeze ups. I've tried PowerDVD, WinDVD, BlazeDVD, Nice MC, SuperDVD and Sonic Cine players. And the behavior is different for each software and problems occur at different places in the movie. I hear about people watching DVDs on their computers all the time. What am I missing here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 08, 2003, 03:23 AM
Veteran

make sure that the DMA is enabled. Also how are your drives configured? (i.e. Slave, Master, Seperate IDE Channel).
Old Sep 08, 2003, 04:12 AM
Veteran

I take it this is an original and not a dvdr we are talking about here ?

Is the disk scratched or dirty ?
Old Sep 08, 2003, 02:26 PM

In Windows 2000 there does not seem to be a choice for DMA--I think the drives are automatically configured that way. The DVD was the slave to a CDRW master. I switched the DVD to the master. Still behaves the same way. The disks are original commercial disks, virtually new. I made sure they were clean. Do you think it could be a defective player?
Old Sep 08, 2003, 02:48 PM
Veteran

Sounds like it could be a fault with the drive.

Try another commercial disk in it and if that does the same, get it exchanged.
Old Sep 08, 2003, 07:22 PM

The tech at the place where I purchased it concluded that it was the drive, too. But then I thought to test the drive in my Win98 partition and it worked fine. So it had to be software related. I shut down everything running but still no improvement. It finally dawned on me. I tried turning off Sygate Personal Firewall. That did the trick--flawless playing after that. Thank you anyway Phil and Jesterrace for your suggestions and attempts to help me.