CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 30, 2002, 04:21 PM
Veteran

Exclamation Problem setting up Broadband connection with Win XP Pro...

sponsored links

I tried to set up my other PC that has Win XP Pro but couldn't get it going.

This is how we're set up:

Cable Modem
|
\/
Hub -> My Brother's PC
|
-> My PC

The connection is Always On(no l/p needed).

I only have one network cable coming into my room which I manually switch back & forth to whichever PC I am using online.

I installed the NIC but didn't use the disk that came with it b/c XP picked it up. woohoo!

I tried Control Panel -> Network connections -> Add new connection with no luck and also Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections. Also no luck. It would send packets but would never receive any.

When my bro first got his PC(w/XP regular), he couldn't get it working either...but then all of a sudden it worked fine.

Can anyone help??

Peace,
'cuda

PS- Sorry for the horrible diagram.

Last edited by barracuda; Apr 30, 2002 at 04:23 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 04:42 PM
Veteran

So you've plugged the Modem into the hub and you then have the other two pc's running from the hub?

Have you tried just plugging the modem straight into the pc and trying to get it to work that way?

Roger
Old Apr 30, 2002, 04:57 PM
Veteran

Yes, cable modem to hub to the 2 PC's.

No, I don't see how that would help.

My brother has everything set up downstairs with a network cable coming upstairs to my room. I don't really want to mess with that stuff downstairs.

The connection works perfect on my old Win 98 PC and I didn't have to set anything up...just plugged it in.

It's definitely a software setup problem with the XP PC. Like I said before my brother just played with his PC for about an hour and it started working. But, I need a more "concrete" idea of what to do other than "just play with it for a while."

Last edited by barracuda; Apr 30, 2002 at 05:00 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 05:03 PM
Veteran

Are you sure that the modem can just plug straight into the hub? I have the same set-up at home with a modem hub and pc's all over the house.

I put the modem on a XP pc (host) and put it on the hub. Then I connected all the other pc's into the hub, installed ICS (internet connection sharing) and now they all work off one pc.

Could you not do that?

Roger
Old Apr 30, 2002, 05:14 PM
Veteran

I really can't convince my bro to do anything like that. He has one of those pre-fab Sony Vaio PC's(cough*junk*cough ) and I really don't want to install any kind of software onto it.

We don't want any kind of network(file sharing). Just to share the Internet connection.

I mean, since this works now[on my Win 98 PC], it should also work with the Win XP PC without re-arranging any hardware...except maybe re-installing the NIC in my win xp.

I don't know...I'm gonna try connecting the xp PC and blindly play with it for a while.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 05:21 PM
Veteran

You don't have to install file sharing for it to work. If his pc won't take the modem then what about yours? You could put it on yours and set it up to be the host then you just need to install ICS (comes on windows cd).

ICS will only work if ALL pcs are running 98SE or above.

Roger