CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:08 PM
Veteran

Default Help! My PS2 can't read dvdr and original dvd games properly

sponsored links

Cdr's and original Cd games work perfect but whenever i try to boot DVDR's they rarely boot up and when they do, they have bad loading a lot of the time whichj isn't supposed to be there, I know its not the media cause its Verbatim and Datasafe and also it's happening on my original dvd games too (just not as bad as with dvdrs) so whats the problem? do i need a new laser or can i adjust the cog thing inside to make it work? Also, I get slightly better results if I put my ps2 upside down to play dvd games (this is the only way to make certain games run). I have a messiah chip inside and it plays cd games and dvd2cd rips fine and ps1 games work fine too. It's just dvdr and dvd based games...
I tried the diagnostics but that doesn't do jack either.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:49 PM
Veteran

Sounds like your laser needs adjusting or just simply cleaning....
I've just adjusted a Version 4 machine for a friend by moving the white cog inside the disc drive..NOT THE POTS!! What I did was just put a dot on the white cog to align where the start point is and moved it clockwise 1 click at a time and try again...
I found that i only adjusted it 6 clicks and the games worked a lot better.
Give it a go if you feel you're up to it, DON'T FORGET THE ALIGNING DOT THOUGH!!!! just in case it gets worse at least you can put it back exactly where you started at. You never know, you might need to go anti-clockwise!!

Hope this helps you mate, at least your laser isn't up the creek, just needs aligning!!

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Jul 31, 2002, 01:41 AM
Veteran

I think you need a new laser...My V5 PS2 just had this prob too! arg.........I tried adjusting everything!!! and get da same results...NOTHING...so i think you need a new laser...i do too!
Old Aug 08, 2002, 07:01 PM
Veteran

Bump.

I read in some places that even if you put in a new laser you might still get exactly the same problem.
Old Aug 09, 2002, 05:51 AM

my version 5 did this. try this; with unit off press eject. this will turn it on and open the tray. next put in the game/movie and tap reset. this closes the tray and boots the game.
Old Aug 09, 2002, 09:04 AM
Veteran

i remember somebody saying something about this not being a laser problem but being a problem with dust and dirt inside the ps2

anybody else recall this?