CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old May 03, 2002, 11:12 AM
Veteran

Default trying to link laptop to PC - look inside

sponsored links

hello, im trying to link a laptop up to the broadband internet connection im paying 25 quid a month for - my PC is currently using this connection.

the laptop is running xp and doesnt have a network card
the PC at the moment is running ME and has the one network card for the broadband but i do have another i can put in.

so i think i need to buy a pcmcia nic card for the laptop and some cable but then what do i do coz ive never networked before - is this the best way to accomplish what im trying to do - is there another way? whats the usb port for on the external cable modem? can that be used in any way?

also how long can you have network cable? i was wondering as the PC is upstairs but would like to use the laptop downstairs

anybody who can shove me in the right direction pls lmk
Old May 03, 2002, 11:28 AM

You could buy a router or you could get a hub but you are on the right lines.

You should do a search on here because this sharing of broadband connection has come up alot in the past on here.

It's really easy anyway.

The way your talking about you just need a crossover cable to go between the second network card and the pcmcia card.

then just setup internet connection sharing. It's really easy to do on both me and especially xp.
good luck m8
Old May 03, 2002, 12:08 PM
Veteran

The best way to do it would be to put a PCMCIA in the laptop and buy some cross over cable.

I don't think there is going to be a problem with you having a network cable going from upstairs to your downstairs as I have network cable running all over my house and it all works fine.

Once you have the network working the easiest way to get them to share the internet is to use ICS (internet connection sharing). It comes with Win 98SE and above.

To install it open add/remove programs and install it. Then follow the simple on screen instructions. Remember that the one with the internet connection is the host and the one sharing is called the client.

Roger
Old May 03, 2002, 12:46 PM
Veteran

thanks lads - im gonna get me a pcmcia nic card over the weekend and give it a go
Old May 03, 2002, 02:04 PM

It is possible to network the two PCs just by using USB - you should be able to share the internet connection that way, without going to the expense of getting a PCMCIA NIC
Old May 03, 2002, 02:05 PM

Sorry - I didn't spot the question about distance - the USB solution is only good for a few meters.

Why not look at getting a wireless network card for the PC, and a wireless PCMCIA card - that way you aren't running any cables, and you can browse the web whilst sitting in the garden !
Closed Thread