CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 06, 2002, 07:30 AM

sponsored links

Theres some very strange "facts" on this thread, like lynkynpark saying it costs companies about 50 cents to make a game...what about the months and months of planning, design, coding, testing etc. For a game like GTAVC, that takes many talented people on a SALARY. Yes companies do make a lot of money and no-one is dictating to anyone, but stupid facts like the one above are just plain silly!!

If anyones interested, I have not had my PS2 chipped on purpose cos I remember back when I had my ps1 chipped I would not even play most of the games..just check them to see if they worked and then put them away..you become more of a game COLLECTOR than a game PLAYER.

I have only quality originals now like DMC, MGS2, REZ and I am sure I have played them a lot longer and harder than I would have if they were backups, even if my collection of games can be counted on 2 hands!!

GTAVC is pre-ordered and I am looking forward to it on Friday!!

C e l s i u S
Old Nov 06, 2002, 08:10 AM
Veteran

Exactly - buying the original WILL help coders etc keep their jobs and make a comfortable living - they arent exactly rolling in it (at least the actual people who put the most work in)

And yes, movies do cost more than games to make - but the reason for them being cheaper when they come to dvd/video is that they have already made most of their money from the cinema!!!

Wise up.
Old Nov 06, 2002, 11:37 AM

If anyones interested, I have not had my PS2 chipped on purpose cos I remember back when I had my ps1 chipped I would not even play most of the games..just check them to see if they worked and then put them away..you become more of a game COLLECTOR than a game PLAYER.

I have only quality originals now like DMC, MGS2, REZ and I am sure I have played them a lot longer and harder than I would have if they were backups, even if my collection of games can be counted on 2 hands!!

C e l s i u S
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good point. And here I thought I was the only one. I have bought at least 60 backup PC games, both new and old, over the last 1-2 years. I have only played about 6-7 of them for more than 10 minutes. Paying full price does force you to make more informed buying decisions about good games. That being said, though, I will probably still continue buying backups instead of originals until I am out of college and have a real job. People in my category are probably exactly the people that video game companies have the biggest problem with...when you are 10, your parents buy your games for you (well, mine didn't, but many did), and you probably don't know about mod chips and all that stuff yet. But when you reach 16- college age, you basically have no money and get tempted by all this stuff. And I obviously am too weak to resist even though I know its wrong. I can't afford to be paying full price for games when most of the jobs I had/can get only pay $5-6 an hour. Quite honestly, minimum wage is a joke. What kind of hobbies can you fford making only $30 after taxes from a full 8-hour day? Hell, you take your girlfriend to dinner and a movie and your money is shot right there. Sorry to rant, here...but I'm just telling it how it is.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 04:23 AM

Heres my opinion for what its worth.
I buy games that deserve to be bought, I have backups of HITMAN2 PRO EVO2 TS2 all arriving tomorow morning, i was also offered Vice Ciy as a backup, I have just drove 10miles to GAME and bought Vice city.
Now i know some people find this crazy,I must admit i used to as well and i know my forty quid is a drop in the ocean to ROCKSTAR etc, and i didnt do it as a morale thing either to make myself feel good.
I like most peope on this site hav had many many many hours/years of enjoyment from the GTA series. And think its only fair to give something back.
And NO,i cant afford it, the company i worked for went into liquidation last week and this was the last of my cash, but some games just earn enough respect that its only fair we show the same.

I also agree that having backups prevents you from really getting into games.
I have over a hundred and play only GTA and Pro evo.
I have owned GT3 for over a year and havent even got my licsene on it yet.

If we all just bought backups then there will be no GTA5 or even 6.

P.S The price of games is ridiculos, i reckon 24.99 tops, however saying that you are only buying backups to reuce the price of games is just an excuse because you are a tight Arse.
I admit i am a tight git, and find the thought of spending forty quid absolutely crazy, but to claim a big morale victory and say you are buying copies to reduce the price of games is a very petty excuse.
If anything it will increase the price of games.

So to sum up all the above BullS%*T into 1 piece of advice.
Buy backups to try the games I personally dont see the point in having the backup of a game and then buying the original, however if you play a game and love it I.E GTA 1 2 and 3 and you know that 4 is even better i think its only fair to buy it as an original.

LOL
Old Nov 08, 2002, 06:48 AM

I agree it's a great game but at the price tag of 37.99 i think its way too much.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:33 AM

37.99 is a lot but how many hours do you think you wil play it for 100 - 200 probably more, i went to Megabowl the other day with the missus and it was 16 quid for just over half an our between us. I bet if you divided the cost of gta3 by the hours i have played it, it would be about 5pence per hour. Thats in my opinion why games should be more expensive than films, how many times will you watch yur Gladiator dvd for 19.99 probably no more than 3. so thats over 6 quid per view compared to gta3 that is about 10p per game. BARGAIN! you tight sods.