CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Default Acatel Speedtouch Usb Adsl Modem / Abit Kr7a Raid Mobo And Windows Xp / Big Problems

sponsored links

i have been having big problems for a while with my acatel speedtouch usb adsl modem , im running xp pro , i also have a abit kr7a raid mobo with via chipset (which may be part of the issue) .
For a while things were fine then my pc started crashing on start up with an error 'incomplete irp request' or something like that . I have tried everything i can and have spent endless hours trying to resolve this . My isp says its down to my pc so they cant help me .

things ive tried

usb driver from abit website
latest modem drivers
turn off assign irq to usb
installed latest mobo bios
latest via patch was installed when xp was installed
tried plugging it into my belkin powered usb hub
removed other usb devices
tried all usb ports on my pc

i have tried other things but the state its in just now its not crashing but the modem icon on my taskbar stays yellow on start up and it takes a few mins to turn green so im able to use it .

Have tried drivers 1.3 / 1.4 /1.6 , defragmented , run regclean , norton disk doctor . It was a fresh xp installation as well .

In the past when i have had it working and i made a ghost image so if thing go bad i can restore back till when they were good , well after it running ok for a couple of weeks or so , it starts playing up again , so i restore my ghost image and on restart the modem still aint working right even tho it was fine when the image was made , very strange . Then i end up messing around with the drivers until i get it going again , it becomes a real nightmare and ive lost count of the amount of times ive restored from a ghost image because the drivers for this modem just dont seem to work well .

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as im really fed up with all this mucking about .

I read there is issues with the modem/drivers and the via chipset but im not sure if it applies to my mobo , its the kt266a chipset on my mobo .

I emailed acatel support and i got this reply back "The solution for this sort of problem is to install a PCI USB card with an "Opti" or "Lucent" chipset made by Belkin, for example, as this will move the conflict you are having away from the computer motherboard."

Now i dont wanna buy a pci/usb card if its not a guarentee to work , can anyone tell me if this makes sense , i have 4 usb ports on my pc and a 4 port usb hub plugged into one of them so im not chuffed at adding another couple of usb ports just to use this damn modem .

Last edited by rabby2; Jan 02, 2003 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2003, 03:44 PM
Veteran

If I were you I'd cut my losses and get a decent modem or router. Probably not what you want to here but I think its the best solution. I had one once and tried it with 3 pc's and two different hubs and it still wouldnt work.
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:14 PM
Veteran

at the end of the day it may be worth me buying something new as its becoming a real pain in the *** . I may try my isp and see if they can supply me with a better modem as they supplied this one .
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Cant offer you a solution m8 but i'd agree with the Captain, I signed up with BTO who supplied me with a 'frog' modem which worked without probs on my system but I had an Intel 815 mobo at the time,since changed to an 845 mobo and got rid of the Alcatel and bought a D-Link DSL504 router...

Read numerous stories on the ADSL guide website about people with VIA chipset mobos having endless problems with the Alcatel modems. With the amount of time and effort you've spent and all the hassle it may be worthwhile biting the bullet and getting your wallet out m8....

Hope you work it out

Smiffy
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:28 PM
Veteran

cheerz smiffy what is a dlink dsl504 router ? are they chaep and do they perform better than the asdl modems ?
Old Jan 02, 2003, 06:44 PM
Veteran

Not sure about the dlink routers but I use a Solwise 705 and can't fault it. Its available from www.solwise.co.uk for about a hundred notes. Always on connection so just plug the laptop in and im away, no waiting for the connection to sync etc. They also do the 715 with built in4 port switch if you don't already have a hub/switch.
Closed Thread