CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 28, 2004, 02:15 AM

Default Hello all - parts of DVD movies to one disk and subtitles

sponsored links

Hello !

It's the first time i post at the forum, so i want to congratulate the moderators for the great job they do and for sharing their experiences and knowledge. I want to thank all users for being helpfull as well.
It's only a week since i own a dvd recorder (my first one, a plextor 712/A) and i really enjoy it !
After burning a few media the time has come for a more creative job !!!
Using Shrink i have cut parts of movies i like, thinking to gather all of them in one single dvd disk.
And now the questions come...
1. How can i do this. I have taken parts of 5 movies, so i have 5 VOB files (and the other files that have been saved with) in 5 folders on the hard disk. One folder for each movie. How can i place them in a single dvd disk ? Is it possible ?
One solution i imagine would be to convert them to MPEG-2 files and then create a dvd. But i would like to avoid it. It's going to take many hours (appr. 6/7 for my PC) and more space.Any other idea/solution welcomed.
2. Cutting out the parts of the movies using Shrink i found out later (viewing them) that there were no subtitles allthough i have selected the ones i wanted using the stream options. Any idea ?

Thank you, Have you all a nice day,
zafond
Old Sep 28, 2004, 03:44 PM
Veteran

o.k i will try and answer your questions the way i would do it LOL

1. o.k so you have 5 VOB files, so you are going to need to author a DVD to do this i personally use DVD Lab which will ask if you would like to demultiplex the files, i.e split the video and audio streams i suggest you do this, and it will only take a minutes rather then hours.

Another popular choice for authoring is TMPGEnc DVD Author, this may do the same thing and demultiplex the VOBS, if not you can use TMPGENC to demultiplex.

2. Cant answer this one as i have never ripped only parts of a movie with subtitles.

Just curious as to why you have 5 parts of different movies, just being nosey LOL.

Hope that is of some help, if not im sure myself or another user can explain in more detail if needed, but download the trial version of TMPEnc DVD Author and have a play this will help you understand better i think.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:35 AM

Hello spookynessUK, thanks for replying/helping.
Each VOB file has the same name. They are in different folders.
This huppened becouse extracting a part of a movie using shrink, i could specify the location that the VOB file should be saved and not the name of it. So, it's more a problem of combining these files as i see it.

One idea i have is to keep and rename the VOB files (1,2,3,4,5) place them inside the first VIDEO_TS folder. Of course there are other files as well inside the VIDEO_TS folders, so which files should i keep and rename i do not know. How do you find it - any idea ?
As i know TMPGEnc converts avi files to mpeg1/2. Do you suggest to convert the VOB files to avi and then the avi files to mpeg2 ?

Why i have 5 parts of different movies ? I like very much science fiction movies and i own a lot of original dvds of them. From each movie there are two or three scenes which i like most. So i thought to create a collection of favorites scenes and place them all together in one, two or more dvd disks. For many reasons. Mainly becouse i do not have much free time.
zafond
Old Sep 30, 2004, 04:32 PM
Veteran

First of you cant just copy the VOBS into a VIDEO_TS folder and burn the DVD, as the DVD structure will not be correct.

I suggest you rename all the vobs to whatever you like and put them into one directory.

As the VOBS will be MPEG2 there is no need to rencode.

Download TMPGEnc DVD Author (Trial) from ***********.pegasys-inc.com/

And now it is simple just click on Source Setup then add file and add each VOB file, once done you can make chapters, menus etc.

Let me know how you get on or if you need further help.
Old Oct 01, 2004, 03:38 AM

I download TMPGEnc DVD Author now, give it a try on weekend and let you know. Thanks for helping,
have a nice weekend, zafond
Old Oct 02, 2004, 05:46 AM
Veteran

No problem buddy, you have a good weekend aswell.

Remember if you post back please try to explain as much detail as possible as it makes getting a resolution for you so much easier