CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 11, 2003, 07:28 PM
Veteran

Question ==>Help w/ detecting 2 Hard drives....Need opinion..

sponsored links

This is weird. I have a pc in which I haven't opened up the case for 3-4 months to make any changes. All the sudden it is hard for my pc to detect the hard drives.

I have the hard drives on the Primary IDE.

=-Things I checked so far-=
-Jumpers are fine.
-Just changed out the IDE cable to a brand new cable
-Made sure all cables are securely plugged in.
-Went into BIOS and have it auto search the hard drive, with no luck

Why would it find the hard drive 1 out 30 boots? (rough estimate)

Specs of pc:
XP 1800+ board by Gigabyte (had it for 2 years)
1 HD 80 GB and 1 HD 100 GB on Primary IDE
TDK CDRW and Pioneer DVD rom on Secondary IDE (Detect just fine)
768 DDR Ram

What do you guys think? Is it the mother board or the hard drives or something else? The chance of 2 hard drives going out at the same time....is too slim...
Old May 11, 2003, 07:58 PM
Veteran

I plugged the Hard drive as master on my Secondary IDE...It is detected and Boots up...Now My Question is:

*******Did my Motherboard Primary IDE controller went out or is there a setting somewhere I can double check.....plz...not my MOBO....
Old May 13, 2003, 03:45 AM

it could b ur motherboard... but it dont really sound like it... check 4 shorts... look 4 black or darkened patches on the motherboard and on the bottom of the hard drives... also u might check the drives on a system that u know works... but make sure the hard drives arnt shorted out 1st... what els could it b???... uummm... if u can get somethin 2 boot up 2 windows run a diagnostics program on the bios and the chipset... if ur board has an onboard diagnostics check that... it sounds more like a chipset problem more than nethin... but u just dont know till u can get somethin 2 workin... good luck... leme know how it goes... [email]kissdaangel@hotmail.com[/email]
Old May 13, 2003, 05:59 AM
Veteran

For a further software check, you could try removing the IDE channels from Device Manager, re-boot and let Windows re-install them. What O/S are you using ?

However, if you're struggling to auto detect in BIOS, it does tend to point to hardware.