CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 07, 2004, 03:37 AM
Veteran

Default Laptop Hard Drives

sponsored links

What is the difference between laptop hard drive interfaces? I know that there is a 44 pin IDE type hard drive but, my friend has a different type of hard drive for his laptop. It's kind of like a cartridge. It just slides in and out with a contact chip. Kind of like a Nintendo video game cart. Can anyone tell me what I need to have this turned into a portable USB drive? I went to Frys and tried several different enclosures for USB and they all use 44 pin type and not sliding. His laptop is a Dell and he bought this laptop in 2002. I'm trying to get the data off his hard drive because it is important and no one else I know has a dell laptop of the same type. So what I am trying to do is put his drive into a portable drive and move the data he has on there. His laptop will not boot and I think his CPU is dead because his fans aren't spinning. I want to try to get his data off first and try a Windows reinstall and if that doesn't work then it would be his processor and fan failing. Thanks for any help..
Old Mar 07, 2004, 04:25 AM
Veteran

It's actually a standard laptop harddrive with a standard IDE laptop connection. Dell just uses an additional adaptor on the IDE connector to make it easier to swap. If you look closely at the adaptor you'll notice that you can remove it. You may need to gently pry it off with a flat screwdriver. Underneath it are the normal IDE pins all laptops harddrives have.
Old Mar 08, 2004, 01:13 AM
Veteran

dude buy a laptop encloser usb or fire and hook it up to your regular pc that way you can grab the data off of it
Old Mar 08, 2004, 01:31 AM
Veteran

Thanks for inputs. Appreciate it. Now I just need to go back to Fry's and get an enclosure. Thanks!