CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 29, 2002, 07:39 AM

Question svcd not playing - format not recpgnised

sponsored links

Hi, I searched this forum and tried all the advice, downloading decoders etc.
I have a xp1600, 1 g DDR, Power DVD player, Win xp pro and despite searching etc still can't play SVCD on the pc. The DVD player is a Lite on.

The 2 SVCD I have contain 3 folders (EXT, SVCD & MPEG) The SVCD folder contains mostly SVD with 1 DAT files and the EXT contains SCANDATA.DAT the MPEG has 2 AVSQ0*.MPG files. Both Media player and Power DVD do not recognise the format despite the MPEG2 decoders and then I found this.

SVCDs it seems cannot easily be played on PC CD players, despite starting out as an easily playable MPG2 file. During the "make it an SVCD" process the file is enclosed in a "wrapper", which makes it unreadable by Microsoft's Direct Show (part of the software required to play video). As SVCD is not a product used much commercially it's unlikely Microsoft will fix Direct Show in the near future (version 8 doesn't play SVCDs). However if you wish to try, the mpg2 files themselves are in a directory MPEG2 on the CD with names like AVSEQ01.MPG. You can try "right clicking" on AVSEQ01.MPG and select "open with" Windows media player. Later versions of media player will access the Internet to try to download the appropriate plugin. As with VCDs you might try copying to the hard disk and renaming the extension this time to MP2.

Advice or comments would be appreciated, thanks.
Old May 29, 2002, 08:09 AM
Veteran

Windows media player works fine if you install the RIFF/CDXA Source filter. It doesn't apear in the directshow graph, but I tried to play a SVCD with it renamed and it wouldn't run, renamed it back and it played fine. Also using Cyberlinks MPEG2 decoder, that is installed with PowerDVD, which can also playback SVCD's just fine.

Oh yeah, there's a link: ***********.doom9.org/Soft21/Filters/riff-cdxa-filter-test6.zip

Highly beta/alpha software though, but it works fine for me.

Last edited by celtic_druid; May 29, 2002 at 08:18 AM.
Old May 29, 2002, 08:24 AM

Another alternative is to download the MPEG2 media player from
www.elecard.com or other DVD media software.

I use PowerDVD which as Celtic Druid says plays SVCD'S fine i also use WinDVD which again has no problems in Either my DVD-ROM drive Or my CD-writer
Old May 29, 2002, 08:25 AM

Thanks

I tried that, still won't play, although it now says source filter could not be loaded??
Old May 29, 2002, 08:41 AM
Veteran

Then you don't have an MPEG2 filter installed. You can try this one: ********members.optushome.com.au/spamcatcher/freedvd.zip

Although I have never bothered testing it as the cyberlink decoder filter works good for me.
Old May 29, 2002, 08:43 AM

Thanks azcoop, I dl the mpeg2 player you suggested but it too wouldn't play the svcd, said unpupported format. It plays on a stand alone DVD player, why not on the pc??