CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 02, 2006, 08:36 PM

Default damn i'm stupid

sponsored links

i think i've just broke my ps2.
I've had it 4 maybe 4 years and recently cos of dust 1 game in particular wouldn't work. So started using a dvd cleaner and it was fine for a while then i had to keep using dvd cleaner more and more untill the game stopped working completely. So genius here decides that i know the inards of a pc so a ps2 will be no trouble?
Anyway the silver ribbon bit that connects to reset and open close button has now ,after a bit of bad luck got a couple of holes in it where a screw or two has gone through it. The machine won't open or reset or anything although it still has power.
Have i just made myself an expensive doorstop or is there a cheap solution??
Old Jun 03, 2006, 04:19 PM

That ribbon cable connects up to the buttons, with it busted, the buttons will not work.

You can buy new ones, they're really cheap. Search "PS2 ribbon cable" on Google or eBay and you'll find somewhere that sells them.

Although i have never fitted one, they look like a real pain to attach to the PS2s motherboard as it goes on the underside.

As they're so cheap, i would buy a few in case you mess up when trying to install it - they're pretty fragile.

hopethathelped
Old Jun 04, 2006, 08:35 AM

Talking cool

thanks for that ,thought i might have to buy a new machine.
Have looked on ebay, does it matter which type i get? they had different names like V4 to V12 or V9 to V10. I suppose that has something to do with the age of my machine.
Old Jun 04, 2006, 01:17 PM

Default have checked

I have a version 4 ps2 according to an internet site although don't know if u need a different ribbon for the two types of the fourth version. But thanks 4 your help.
Old Jun 05, 2006, 12:48 PM

Question another question

Have been lookin on a few sites and many places say to clean the lens with a q-tip and 70% alcohol. I've ordered a new eject/reset ribbon but still want to clean lens properly. Is q-tip an amercian word for cotton buds or are they 2 completely different things?? as can only find them 4 sale in USA .
Old Jun 05, 2006, 04:17 PM

same thing, different brands..