CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Default Clicking hard drive [; ; winXP]

sponsored links

I bought a computer system 2nd hand at a boot sale..it was all set up and running sweet so I decided to buy...this was about 3 months ago and just last week the hard drive started clicking noises and not loading...in the end I decided to format and reinstall xp..but while setting up windows the drive began to click again and did not finish anstalling windows..so I tried another install and this time it worked and so far the drive is working ok...I tried scan disk but it did not find anything wrong?
I think there must be bad sectors or something...I heard that hdd regenerator might fix this...or is there anything else I could try...I dont mind if I have to lose some space on the drive as its a 120gig...
The drive is an ibm 120 gig and I am running it in an athlon 2700 with xp pro operating system...thanks for any help...
Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:50 PM
Veteran

IBM Deathstar to be presice!!

That "Click" is the infamous [i]Click of Death[/i].

Your hard drive is on its way out, along with about 200,000 other IBM Deskstar Hard Drives.

IBM do have a decent Drive Fitness Test on their website to download.

***********.storage.ibm.com/hddredirect.html?/support/download.htm

But this is the page you will be needing soon enough:

***********.storage.ibm.com/hddredr/hddredr_w.html

If I were you I would get another hard drive and use the IBM only for non essential data storage. I certainly wouldn't recommend putting anyhting on there which you will NEED later on.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:52 PM

Try Partition Magic 8, it scans HD for bad sectors.

If you do have a bad sector, fix it (should automatically fix) and partition HD and reinstall everything. Might take about 2 hrs. Took 3hrs to scan my 160gb HD.

Good luck
Old Apr 24, 2004, 02:18 PM
Veteran

Heres a site with some customer reviews on these pieces of junk:

***********.ncix.com/products/index.php?mode=productreviewread&product_id=7210#r eview5685

I have only bought one, Took about 3 attempts to get windows on when it was brand new. Each successive pass of the drive fitness test gave me more bad sectors.

Lasted almost a day before I RMA'd it.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 03:28 PM
Veteran

guys my mistake its not an ibm drive thats what the guy who sold me it said was in it...just opened case to check its a Samsung spinpoint 120 gig...is it repareable or is it on its way out...cheers