CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 25, 2002, 01:08 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Sounds like a laser problem. Does it make 3 clicks when trying to read the disc? Better off just buying a new V5. They are only $199 and a new laser is at least $80.
Old May 25, 2002, 06:55 AM

Yeah moddogs, I got it modded from eecs but it worked fine the few times I played since I got it so I'm not going to complain about the mod job (although he didn't connect the macro and region on the 4.1).

I think I messed it up because right before it didn't work, I was trying to boot a dvdr using dmc demo and I messed up the sequence and was pushing reset/eject a lot. I *briefly* saw the dmc screen and then figured out what I was doing wrong. It hasn't worked since.

Yup, it's a V4 so maybe it is the laser. I only have 3 dvdr games so i guess it's not a huge deal. I can stick w/ cdrs for a while. I'm gonna miss SSX Tricky tho.

Thanks for the advice all.

PS. i asked a ps2 repair place and here's what they suggested:

"Try to clean the "eye" of the laser optical unit first off. Take a Qtip dipped in denatured alcohol or rubbing is you must, then wipe the eye clean... dry also. Be gentle and kind."

GCRTeam

I don't think I'll open the ps2 because I don't know what i'd be doing and I don't want to complete break it.
Old May 25, 2002, 06:58 AM

Yes it does click and it takes forever trying to read the disc. Then gives me the error.

FAILS = Original dvd games, original dvd movies (don't know about dvdr since I can't boot and I don't have any original cd games)

WORKS = Cdr games (self-boot 4.1)
Old May 25, 2002, 09:28 AM
Veteran

lasers?

Looking for or providing PS2 parts & Services? Or need parts/services/advice cause you messed up something?Use:
***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75846