CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 07, 2002, 01:07 PM

Default Please Help. My computer constantly freezes

sponsored links

No matter what i do, i cant stop my computer from randomly freezing. Surfing the web, opening email, typing a document, or even the mouse will cause my computer to randomly freeze. I thought windows ME was the problem, so i reformatted and installed XP. That didnt help. I thought maybe the ram had gone bad, so replaced and increase the ram. That increased performance, but didnt stop my computer from freezing. I dont know what to target next. Could it be my cpu has gone bad? I have a celeron 700Mhz that i never overclocked. Please help!!!
Old Jul 07, 2002, 01:18 PM
Veteran

Normally I would say your software needs re-installing but the fact you've re-built kind of rules that one out !

Are you using anti-virus and do you have things such as e-mail constantly running in the background ? If so, try disabling anti-virus for a session and see if this helps, and again, shut down your e-mail for a while.

Other than that, the fact that it happens randomly in different apps, could well be that your hard drive is on its way out and it's the constant searching, writing to the drive etc that is causing problems. Have you done a full surface scan of the drive recently ?
Old Jul 07, 2002, 01:31 PM

it could be you need to install or update you graphics drivers.

hope this helps
Old Jul 07, 2002, 01:58 PM
Veteran

When it freezes, Reboot into your bios settings and check your CPU temp. Anything over 50 deg C. maybe causing the problem. I had mine freezing up at 45-46 deg C. Adding an extra fan in the case to circulate air and removing all the expansion slot covers usually cures it. I had a processor "cooking" at 68deg C. last week, changed cooling fan and did above mods and it now works ok.

Last edited by Caterman; Jul 07, 2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2002, 02:53 PM

Just did the surface scan and everything checked out ok. I'll try and install/update the graphics driver, but im not sure how to change the cpu temp. My computer is a compaq presario and the only options i have when i go into bios(hold "delete") are:

main
storage
advanced
security
language

under main i have:

system info
save settings and exit
ignore changes and exit
load defaults
Old Jul 07, 2002, 03:53 PM
Veteran

I had a freezing problem on my second PC, I added a fan to the hard drive to keep it cool and that seemed to stop it.

It was over 3 months ago no freezing since.

Regards