CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:11 PM

Default Constant "Blue Screen Error"

sponsored links

Over the past few weeks, my computer has become rediculously unstable. it starts up slow, and sometime after it starts up, i cant do anything. othertimes it will start up and when i try to do somthing, itll just give me the "blue screen of death" or freeze. i tried last known good config but it didnt do anything. i also tried system rerstore but for some reason it only goes 2 days back. right now im running in safe mode and everything is fine. what could the problem be?? also when i press ctrl+alt+del and go to process, i some something likr "scvhost.exe" running like 8 times. i habe also notice that in the documents and settings folder that there are about 4 different users (******.NETWORKING folder or something like that) that i dont remember being here. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 03:46 PM

Hi, I'd do a virus scan and a spyware scan. You could also try a defrag. If that doesn't work uninstall stuff you've added lately.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 05:38 PM
Veteran

Its normal to have several instances of "scvhost.exe" running at the same time, at the moment i have it listed four times.

You dont say what operating system your using, as this would help.

It would be worth considering doing a reformat of C drive and doing a full reinstall, making a backup of all the things you need to keep first, if you have more than one HDD drive, copy this to the D drive.

If your running XP take a look here and see what can be stopped running in services, as this may help, but be careful as to what you stop.

***********.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

Also go to Start - Run - msconfig go to Startup, and take a look in the list there for anything that you can do without starting up at boot up, be careful though.

Also as KoolKid99 says, make sure that nothing has been installed not known to you.

The only other thing i can think of at the mo is if its possible,have your memory stick/s checked, if you have two sticks installed, try with just one at a time in.

colin.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:23 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

I wouldn't put much faith in some of these XP services lists as they haven't been updated to reflect changes with the introduction of SP2.

Anyway, we don't really know for certain what operating system he is using as we haven't been told yet?

As far as formatting, that is a last resort, I would try everything else first, after all you have nothing to lose.

Also, are you sure of the file scvhost.exe, as that can be a worm or virus, whereas svchost.exe is a valid Windows file?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 01:25 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't put much faith in some of these XP services lists as they haven't been updated to reflect changes with the introduction of SP2.

True but most of the things that dont need to be running are still there.

As far as formatting, that is a last resort, I would try everything else first, after all you have nothing to lose.

Also true, but can save a lot of time trying to find a solution.

are you sure of the file scvhost.exe, as that can be a worm or virus, whereas svchost.exe is a valid Windows file?

Also true, so a good full scan for worm/trogen/virus should be done.

colin.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler68
formatting can save a lot of time trying to find a solution.

The problem I have with that is you can use that reply for almost any computer problem.

Forums are about diagnosing and resolving the problem, otherwise, they may all close and whenever there is a problem, just format as it will save you time!

It may very well be the only course of action in the future, but it's very premature to suggest it now.

Anyway, I always like to know the reason behind things, and if it's failing hardware, you wouldn't be very happy formatting and still having the problem.