CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 06, 2002, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Question computer upgrading! some questions...

sponsored links

i want to upgrade one of my computers....its currently 400 mhz i want to take this to 1ghz + and increase the memory to over 512+

i dont know the first thing about upgrading, but was wondering what do i need to do before considering upgrading....and is there any cheap places to buy this..i can easily get someone to fit it in, its no problem...is there anything i need to consider changing before upgrading....

i have a pentium 2, 400mhz, currently 128mb
Old Jun 06, 2002, 06:19 PM
Veteran

You need to read the manual to see whether you current motherboard will take a 1ghz chip and higher memory, if it does go ahead, if you dont have the manual, log to the website manufacturer and locate it under the model of yours which can be found written on Mobo.

I am sure you can post on BST hardware for more info where you can get the parts (you can email me for a price if you want to go ahead with it)

Regards
Old Jun 07, 2002, 10:45 PM

I'm betting your motherboard wont support it, but you can get a processor and motherboard cheap at tigerdirect.com
Old Jun 08, 2002, 01:47 AM
Veteran

Since a PII is going to be a Slot 1 CPU without changing the Mobo your sutck looking for a PIII Slot 1 for a replacement. Even then you need to check to see how high a speed your current Mobo will support.
It's also unlikely that an older Mobo will support above 256 MB of RAM

So you will need a new Mobo, CPU, more RAM and maybe a new case depending if this one is an ATX type. Also if you go to an AMD CPU you may want a new case anyway as you should have at least a 300 Watt Power Supply for it and most likely you now have either a 230 or 250 watt

You'll find some good links for buying over in the CO forum
Old Jun 08, 2002, 05:29 AM

go to pricewatch.com, you'll find the most cheapest price there.
Old Jun 08, 2002, 09:40 AM
Veteran

[url=***********.ebuyer.com]Ebuyer is cheap if your in the uk.