CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:02 PM

Default Win98SE + W2k dual boot trouble

sponsored links

All right, i have a 120 GB hard drive with 4 partitions:

C: [FAT32; Win98SE installed]
D: [FAT32; virtually empty... just storage space]
E: [NTFS; W2k installed]
F: [NTFS; storage space]

now, i was having serious problems under Win98SE last night, so i formatted the C: partition ONLY. i reinstalled Win98SE and it works fine. my problem is this: when i start up my computer (from a cold boot or a reboot), i do not have the option of booting up into W2k... i can only boot up into Win98SE (no option is listed when starting up, it just automatically boots into Win98SE).

i can see in Partition Magic 8.0 that the E: partition (with W2k Pro) is still installed and intact (using Parition Magic's browse feature).

so, is there a way that i can somehow get back the option of booting into W2k at the startup screen?

any and all assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

- Larry
Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:14 PM
Veteran

Use Partition Magic's boot manager, should set up the dual boot again that you lost when you formatted.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:40 PM

Memphis,

thanks for the reply. could you elaborate a bit on your suggestion? i don't have much of a clue as to where to begin with setting up the dual boot again using PM's boot manager.

thanks again.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:53 PM

You see - when you installed Win2k, it placed a little system file on your win98 installation to enable dual boot.

You will have to format partition E and reinstall win2k.

I never used partition magic - so I cant comment on that.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Well, I havn't actually got Partition Magic 8, so I am sorry if I'm talking out of my rear here but I have been told many times that it comes with a boot manager that enables you to dual boot systems where the OS is already installed. So hopefully someone with Partition Magic 8 experience can tell you the exact process.

Sorry about that but it may give you somewhere to start, maybe looking through the documentation?
Old Jun 28, 2003, 07:28 PM

thanks for the replies, guys.

Memphis-

thanks for the additional info. i'll attempted to do as you suggested with Boot Magic, but haven't been successful with it (yet). i may keep trying with it a little bit more.

Zombie Breaht-

thanks for the reply. i know i can format E: and reinstall W2k Pro, but i was hoping there would be a way to rectify the problem without resorting to the dreaded format. ;-)

if anyone has any further input on how to resolve this (without reformatting, preferably), PLEASE post.

thanks!

- Larry