CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 07, 2002, 06:00 AM
Veteran

Default OLD SPACEMONKEY THREAD

sponsored links

OLD SPACEMONKEY THREAD

""""spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-04-2001 12:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi all,
ok i have a major problem with getting my "lite on 24102b" to work.

i installed the drive as master on ide2 (set jumper to master).

i then powered up my pc and got nothing what so ever. i only got a black screen, no bios, no post, just the power light on the drive stayed on.

after messing around testing IDE cables and power etc i gave up.

I rang "lite on" in the netherlands and explained the situation and they told me it sound like a duff unit.

ok, i returned it and have just received a replacement.

guess what ? yep exactly the same problem.

i have a "microstar6178 v1:1" m/b, the latest AWD bios, p3 800mhz, 256mb, 27gb HD, win98se, voodoo5500 pci.

i dont think it is a power problem as i have powered my pc up with the IDE cable removed and the drive power/tray etc works fine.

so can anyone explain why when i connect the IDE cable will my pc will not boot ?

this is driving me crazy. (ive got loads of burning to do and no burner )

thanks in advance

C0UGAR UK
Member posted 10-04-2001 12:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you had anything else installed in the secondary port, it may be IDE2 that is the problem, try fitting it in the primary with HDD and take out your cdrom, then try your cdrom in the secondary my guess is that the cdrom will do the same thing. But you may already of done it
------------------
C0UGAR

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-04-2001 01:03 PM
hi m8,
i tried the liteon drive as slave to my HD but got the same result.

also swaped IDE cables from 1 and 2 to make sure the cable wasnt the problem.

i only have HD on IDE1 master and "lite-on 24102b" as IDE2 master.

originally had samsung 304b combi drive as slave IDE2 and standard CDrom as master.
(that worked fine)

But now just wanting to run "liteon" drive on IDE2 on its own !

this is very weird.

SM

ps/ can someone post the exact procedure for removing old drive and replacing new one.

just incase i have missed something !

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-04-2001 01:42 PM
remove your burner and reboot in safe mode and delete your cd/burner drives/reboot with no cdrom or burner//if ok then install your burner, burn two cds and call me in the morning
------------------
etp

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-04-2001 05:08 PM
earlthepearl,
booted into safe mode, removed reference to my old drive, restarted pc, all fine.

powered down.

put "lite on" back into bay.

powered on.

nothing

---------------

liteon + ide = pc boots
liteon + power = pc boots
liteon + ide + power = **** all !

anyone else got any ideas/suggestions for me to try before i smash my pc with a big ****in hammer

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-04-2001 06:13 PM
OK//I think you still have a bad burner//someone else on this forum had a similar problem.
This will answer it all//Does your cdrom install and work fine=if so then get another brand burner//they might have had a bad batch

step#2 If your cdrom does the same thing then you may have a bad mobo?????? Or a corrupted HD//If your cable is good//ohm meter it or r&r.

Had a HD once that Did all sorts of strange things and convinced me it was the MOBO//Turned out the HD was filled with garbage which a format fixed fine.

[This message has been edited by EARLTHEPEARL (edited 10-04-2001).]

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-04-2001 08:00 PM
my samsung304b combi drive works fine (although the laser is a bit tired after one too many burns).
my standard CDrom drive works fine.

my pc works fine with or without my sammy+standard cdrom drive.

i will try the HD format after i have tested the "lite on" in my pc at work.

i use "drive image" so restoring my system wont be a problem if the format doesnt sort the situation.

dont you think that my bios might not be new enough to handle this drive ?

are there any settings in bios that i should look out for ?

SM

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-04-2001 08:23 PM
The 24x is a newer drive than 98 2nd//Have you updated all the files from MSN. Catch 22=since you don't have it installed, MSN may not sence that you need it for a download update//can't get there from here//
Still//it should just not recognise it not lock up your computer// I think the drive is messed up!!!! Is it possible you have the cable upside down????????????????????
------------------
etp

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-04-2001 09:00 PM
the cable being upside down is a likely as "lite-on" fitting the IDE socket upside down on the drive.
i might just send the damn drive back and get another samsung drive (as least i know they work with my pc).

thanks 4 the help m8.

Pascall
Junior Member posted 10-04-2001 10:21 PM
I dont know if this'll be useful, but just to identify the problem, try the burner into another PC!
If still happens, then the burner IS the problem.
Otherwise try to swap components in order to identify the problem.
Did u change the jumper to secondary slave when you putted the secondary master on the Liteon?
Good luck!
Ciao

LeeJurls
Member posted 10-04-2001 10:45 PM
just a thought I have seen some of the new MSI Athlon boards, I know yours is a P3, have trouble with new ide devices unless you first do an "autodetect ide drives" in the bios.
Lee

jase
Member posted 10-05-2001 06:06 AM
It sounds to me as if the motherboard is detecting a bad voltage somewhere and that is why the PC isn't POSTing. It may not be the fault of the drive, some combinations of devices just don't like each other. I had the same problem with an HP 8x SCSI a while back. I was fortunate enough to just swap my CD writers around between my PCs but you need to check the drive in another PC before you condemn it.

ady199
Junior Member posted 10-05-2001 07:18 AM
I've just purchased the Liteon 24x and I had a similar problem. I fixed it by removing the audio cable..!!! Sounds strange but everything worked fine after that.

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-05-2001 08:11 AM
thanks for all the help !
pascall,
i am going to try the burner in a different pc on saturday. i put the lite-on on IDE2 on its own and set jumper to master (on rear of unit), i tried the drive on the centre ide and end ide socket. (not got any other drives connected).

LeeJurls,

the bios is set to "autodetect ide"

Jase,
Im going to try the drive in another pc on saturday.

ady199,

i havent got the audio cable connected.

I have been looked at the microsoft drivers site and i have found some new drivers for my onboard chip set (intel 810). The drivers are "Ultra ATA storage drivers" ?

might this help ?!

When updating the onboard chip set drivers would the bios detect the new drivers ?

or would this only happed after getting into windows ?

thanks again

SM

dwshark
Member posted 10-05-2001 07:56 PM
Hey had the same problem with a differnt burner wouldn't work as slave or master. But i have the liteon 24x and it works fine mine is on the secondary master and just got a liteon 16x dvd and it is the slave they work fine but i have them both set on the back of each unit to cable select so the pc will auto detect them both other wise when i try to set one as master and the other as slave they won't let the pc boot at all like you said. But when i put both on as cable select they were auto detected and work fine so maybe try the cable select setting on the drive aslo are you using anything else on the ide channel?

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-05-2001 08:47 PM
nothing else on my IDE2 m8, just trying to get the lite-on drive to work
i have emailed "lite-on" to see if they know of any problems.

i have also emailed my motherboard makers (microstar) to see if they know why, and i have also emailed "award" to see if they have a new bios.

im going to test the unit in my pc at work on saturday afternoon !

if it works i dont know what to do !

if it doesnt work (which i hope) then i know its not my pc at fault !

cheers for all the help !

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-06-2001 06:03 AM
You have an e-mail address for LITEONIT??????????????????????? Please share!!!!!!!!!!!! Still think you have a bad unit or an upside down cable!!!
------------------
etp

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-06-2001 10:49 AM
Well i went and bought an ATA66 IDE cable and that didnt work either.
Earlier today i went into work and tested the drive on my pc.

guess what !!

the damn thing worked !

i cleared my CMOS, tried again...nothing.

i flashed my bios with my old bios,.....pc would not work !

i flashed my bios with my new bios.....pc works again but "lite-on" drive still wont let my pc boot !

i then made a boot disk, removed my HD and tried to boot with just floppy & cdrom support !

guess what .... nothing, same thing as always...power light on "lite-on" stays lit, bios wont boot, no post, no nothing. just a black screen !

iam now totally stuck. i have tried everything !

<Christian_Henrich@liteontc.com>

that was the email addy i was given by "cdrinfo.com".

however, they have not replied to my mail

jase
Member posted 10-06-2001 11:22 AM
Yeah I think you'll just have to give this one up. There's nothing wrong with your mobo or the LiteOn, they just don't like each other
You'll just have to buy a new CDR or mobo I'm afraid

Beefy
Junior Member posted 10-08-2001 04:56 PM
I had the same problem when i installed the Liteon 24012b in my computer (ABIT KT7,thunderbird800) thought I`d dislodged a cable or something but no. Out of frustration switched the power switch at the back on and off-guess what its worked fine ever since- no I`ve no idea why this worked but might help (computers eh!!!)
Beefy

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-09-2001 07:02 AM
So Space Monkey//What did you do?? Get a new computer or a different burner?
One of the other posts had a corrupt OS. They loaded a new OS and everything worked fine.
[This message has been edited by EARLTHEPEARL (edited 10-09-2001).]

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-09-2001 01:12 PM
earlthepearl,
I have send the bloody drive back !

i am getting the new "plextor 241040" instead

hopefully i wont have the same problems this time.

It wasnt worth reinstalling my OS as my pc wasnt even getting into or past the bios !

If my pc was booting but the drive not working then i would have formatted and reinstalled 98se. As my pc did nothing what so ever with the drive connected i decided enough was enough and just sent it back.

I eventually got a mail from "MSI" and they said.....

Good Day!

It might be an incompatible issue with the CDRW drive.

Thank you

UNQUOTE

So "microstar international" are as helpfull as ever !

I knew there was a problem !, i was hoping they could supply a solution. ******s

Spacemonkey

[This message has been edited by spacemonkey15 (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old Feb 07, 2002, 06:04 AM
Veteran

Default OLD SPACEMONKEY THREAD

Kila_m
Member posted 10-09-2001 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spacemonkey15:
earlthepearl,
I have send the bloody drive back !

i am getting the new "plextor 241040" instead

hopefully i wont have the same problems this time.

It wasnt worth reinstalling my OS as my pc wasnt even getting into or past the bios !

If my pc was booting but the drive not working then i would have formatted and reinstalled 98se. As my pc did nothing what so ever with the drive connected i decided enough was enough and just sent it back.

I eventually got a mail from "MSI" and they said.....

Good Day!

It might be an incompatible issue with the CDRW drive.

Thank you

UNQUOTE

So "microstar international" are as helpfull as ever !

I knew there was a problem !, i was hoping they could supply a solution. ******s

Spacemonkey

[This message has been edited by spacemonkey15 (edited 10-09-2001).]

Hey space monkey maybe you could try:

Specifically lower it to PIO4 or PIO3 see
if it works.

Also It could well be your power supply..too much load??

------------------
***********.dvdwriters.co.uk

yoshter1
Member posted 10-09-2001 08:59 PM
It's an IDE prolem with the Lite-On. I know yo sent it back but on my Dell, different drives only work when there in certain IDE "patterns".
Oh, and you could have tried to switch PIO modes or have your BIOS not try to "boot" from the CD drives.

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-10-2001 08:24 AM
He sent it back, which is what I would have done. Let us know how your Rolls Royce Plexi works. I'm sure you will be happy!
------------------
etp

Borgy
watch the plextor not work aswell!
Now that would be funny all u with Plextor drives trying 2 say the liteons are crap!!lol

spacemonkey15
kila_m
i tried EVERY bios setting for the IDE.

i even removed my HD and just tried to get the pc to power on with the drive connected.

NOTHING happeded what so ever, no HD spin up, no bios, no post, nothing. just a black screen.

why would it have been a power supply problem ?

i used to have 1 x samsung DVDrw combi & 52x standard cdrom drive connected to IDE2 as master and slave.

i removed BOTH of these to try and get the "lite-on" to work !

the "lite-on" sucked up as much power as my samsung combi drive.

--------------------------------
yoshter1,

after removing my HD and trying to boot my pc with a startup disk with CD support and this failing.

i then disabled my IDE2 and tried to boot my pc again with the "lite-on" connected.

my pc still did not boot.

----------------------------------

i do not doubt that the "lite-on 24102b" is a good drive, i read everything i could find about the drive before buying it. that is why i choose the drive in the first place.

however, as I couldnt get my pc to work with the drive connected i deceided to return it and get the "plextor 241040" instead.

both drives have been given good write ups by various mags and sites.

i cannot understand why my pc wouldnt work with the drive and i never solved the problem either.

I just hope the "plextor" works first time because if it doesnt im going to smash my pc with a big feckin hammer

i will post back in this topic when i get the plex and let you know if all is well or not !

jase
Member posted 10-10-2001 05:18 PM
>I just hope the "plextor" works first time because if it doesnt im going to smash my pc with a big feckin hammer

Sorry, couldn't resist

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-23-2001 05:56 PM
Hi all,
heres the feckin update to my liteon 24102b drive problems...........

After waiting bloody ages for "gb.buy" to refund my money for the returned liteon drive, i ordered the "plextor 2410TA" from somewhere else.

It arrived today

Now guess what ?

yep !

same feckin problem !

I have just spent 4 hours going though the whole fault finding process trying to get the plextor to work.

connect to ide2 as master(jumper as master), nothing else on ide2 !

power on pc...... no beep, no bios, no post, no nothing...just the same black screen

im off to get a big feckin axe in about 10 mins and my pc is getting a seeing too !

What is so different about these E-IDE 24x drives that certain mobos dont like ?

spacemonkey

very very very pissed off !

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-23-2001 06:26 PM
THIS is not good spacemonkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you flash your MOBO bios with an update?

------------------
etp

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-23-2001 06:27 PM
Might try winme or xp
------------------
etp

jase
Member posted 10-23-2001 10:04 PM
OK, I had a problem with a LiteOn DVD-ROM drive in that it would crash Windows 98 when I tried to access it if I had 2 burners (a LiteOn and an Artec) in my system. It turmed out in the end to be a problem with the PSU.
My advice would be to try to obtain a replacement 300W PSU from somewhere (borrow one or something). These drives use quite a lot of power on the 12v line and that might be preventing something from firing up. Worth a go anyway.

To all you blind LiteOn hating Plexiphiles, may this be [b]yet another[/i] reason why you should not jump to feckin conclusions!!!!!!

VEFF
Member posted 10-23-2001 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jase:

To all you blind LiteOn hating Plexiphiles, may this be [b]yet another[/i] reason why you should not jump to feckin conclusions!!!!!!

The same thing happened to another guy here
who bought a 24X QPS (rebadged Sanyo) (I have one and love it), which he returned for a Sony because he couldn't get DMA on in XP or 2000 and thought it was the burner. The Sony didn't make a difference, because the problem ended up having absolutely nothing to do with the burner.
He couldn't have necessarily known that before trying the second burner. But ther is, as you said, a lesson to be learned here: Don't jump to conclusions, without having evidence that your burner is truly at fault.

Another newbie was told to add more memory etc. for some problems with his burner, which ended up not being resolved after buying the new memory. The advice, from a very techincally bright veteran, was good advice given the symptoms.
But it goes to show you, that PCs and OSs can have so many problems that are hard to diagnose, due to the multitide of things that can go wrong:
- Bad driver(s)
- Bad software installation
- Corrupt registry
- DLL conflicts
- Hardware conflicts
- Faulty (simply broken) hardware
- Bad registry or .ini file settings.
and the list goes on.

If a PC has some incorrect settings in the BIOS, a buggy BIOS version, other problematic component or some hardware conflicts, then many people will get pi**ed off at their burner, when it in fact has nothing to do with the burner.

We all have to learn to be more patient.
Trying the burner in a friend's or one's office computer may help to narrow down the problem.

Just my two cents worth.

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-24-2001 07:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EARLTHEPEARL:
THIS is not good spacemonkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you flash your MOBO bios with an update?

unfortunately i have the last available bios already

i cannot see the point in installing another OS as i cannot even get the pc to power up with the drive connected.

Jase,

the case and mobo are miniATX so i am limited to getting a miniATX power supply.
i have looked but cannot find any more powerful than 145w.

----------------------------------------

MY MOBO DETAILS:- ***********.msi.com.tw/products/mainboard/mainboard.php?model=MS-6178

MY CURRENT POWER SUPPLY:- ***********.delta.com.tw/products/powersupply/pdf/DPS145PB_111.pdf

DETAILS OF THE CDRW:- ***********.plextor.be/English/products/pxw241040A.html

I have no knowledge of power supplys etc so i would be grateful if someone could have a look and see if they think it is a power problem.

spacemonkey

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-24-2001 07:18 AM
Well, my liteon works fine. But it sure sounded like a bad burner. Power supply? Maybe! Who knows? But he had a burner and a cdrom on it before and it worked fine! He is just using the burner by itself. I have a 250 watt and have two burners and a cdrom with no problems!
Thats the deal=everthing works with his old equipment?????????????? So a Bios problem, OS problem, or faulty IDE slots(not likely).
Both drives will work in another machine. So Spacemonkey must decide if to take the upgrade plunge or slug it out. I had severe problems that were resolved with and clean HD and new OS. I thought I had a bad MOBO!!! But it was my HD. When I formatted it, It showed 10MB's of data that did not exist on my defrag menu. Data that may have caused the conflicts. Who knows???? But the problem was fixed and the MOBO would accept new hardware after that point in time(I also upgraded to win me at the same time as the format).
Good luke Spacemonkey//keep us posted//we are all learning from your experience!
------------------
etp

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-24-2001 07:25 AM
Ok/I screwed up big time!!!!! 149 watts is too small/maybe/time for a new case/You should be able to get one at your lcl shop for 35-59$$$$ Get a mid tower with 300 or more watts//250 is ok, but why chance it.
400's are pretty common.
I think jase may have fixed your problem!

jase
Member posted 10-24-2001 07:50 AM
Yeah 145 watts is chancing it big style!!! To be honest running such a small PSU with a P3 800 is a bit iffy in itself, I'd have thought that a 200W PSU would be the minimum. When I had trouble I was running a 200W PSU, putting a 300W one in cured the problem instantly!
There's no absolute guarantee that this'll work though, and buying a new case is a bit of a faff if it isn't the problem. If you can borrow a 300W ATX PSU. It doesn't matter that it won't fit in the case, just take the side off your Mini tower and set the big PSU on top of it or something!

BTW when you put the LiteOn/Plex 24x into the machine and switch on does the fan in the PSU start up, or is the machine completely dead?

jase
Member posted 10-24-2001 07:55 AM
Also bear in mind that an el-cheapo PSU (which is probably in your case, most of them are!) don't provide as much power as they say they do, and cheaper ones are less efficient.
For example a high-quality 300W PSU will provide 250W in real life. A cheapy one will only provide on average 180W, and some really dodgy/defective ones might only give 120W!!! So a 145W PSU might conceivably be giving off less than 100W, which is so borderline it doesn't even bear thinking about. That said, it is a Delta, and they are a recognised mid-range brand so you may be OK.

Definitely look into the power supply though!

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-24-2001 12:46 PM
cheers for the info
i will take my pc into work and try powering it from the power supply in my work pc.

i dont know anything about the power side of things but i cannot understand why my pc works with a "voodoo 5" pci (needs power), "samsung 304b combi", "standard cdrom", "26gb HD", "floppy", but when i connect ONLY the plextor (with NOTHING ELSE, just plex+mobo). It will not boot.

when i look inside the case with the "voodoo" & "plex" & "HD" connected ALL of the fans spin. "PSU", "voodoo", "cpu fan".
The plex drive lite stays on, as does the HD light (but dull) and nothing else happens.

on another note,

i was looking in the 2002 CPC catalogue in work this afternoon. I was looking for "controller cards" and found the following "PCI IDE ULTRA DMA33". This add in card is for upgrading pcs that wont work with ULTRA DMA33 drives. If you have access to the CPC catalogue the part number is CS02994.

If it wasnt a power problem could this PCI to EIDE controller card help ?
(just thinking that it could be a incompatible bios problem).

thanks yet again guys

spacemonkey

ps/ if i need to upgrade and get a new case/psu/mobo etc anyone got any recommendations ? (ATX not miniATX)

needs to be socket 370 cos i cannot be arsed to buy a new processor as well

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-24-2001 01:04 PM
ATX mini mid/or mid CASE WILL BE WHAT YOU NEED//
If you get an ide card, get a 100ide. They are backwards compatable. Buy local if you can. Shipping can be a big cost for a case.. Check newegg.com and buycomp.com. Also tiger direct!
PS//Your drives work on your MOBO=you don't need an IDE card unless your IDE slots are bad. remember your old stuff works!!!
Old Feb 07, 2002, 06:07 AM
Veteran

Default OLS SPACEMONKEY THREAD

OC-Freak
Member posted 10-24-2001 03:12 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!! Plextor is no better than Lite-on!!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist

Anyway a friend of me had the same problem once with an ABIT(Abit is the same as crap) motherboard. The solution for him was to buy a new mobo(asus, the best you could get) then everything worked.

I also ran into power problems with a 250Watt high quality Fortron/source powersupply, not big enough for my system ( 3 HDD, 4 CD-units, AMD 1,4GHz and loads of fans and cards). So I bought a kicking PSU which cost the same as 2 mid tower cases with PSU.....Enermax 550Watt....should be enough? Actually I tested with a 300Watt and that was actually enough......

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you get them sorted out....

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-24-2001 08:30 PM
Well i have just been into work and tested my setup with an ATX 250w PSU
Guess what happened ?

yep same problem !

So i have to conceed that this IS a mobo incompatability problem.

Which is very odd if you ask me.

I now have 5 options :-

1. return the plex and buy exactly the same make and model burner i was going to replace.
(samsung 304b combi)

2. buy a new mobo/case/psu and hope a new mobo works. (not ideal because this will cost sh1t loads of cash).

3. try one of those "PCI IDE Ultra DMA 33" controller cards. (30.00)

4. smash my pc and claim on my house insurance then get a totally new system.

5. cry

spacemonkey

ps/ can anyone give me any more info on these "PCI IDE ultra dma33" controller cards ?

if the problem lies with the onboard intel 810i chipset then would a controller card over ride the 810i IDE controls ?

or would you expect me to get exactly the same problem ?

jase

Hmmm
that is a very weird problem :/

Well, the IDE card should sort the problem out but god only knows what is up with your system and it might not fix it!!!

If you want one of these cards I'd suggest heading over to ebay, there are a few guys selling OEM Promise cards quite cheap (15 or so).

The card should work in addition to your IDE ports so they should be OK.

That'd be the next step for me, or just buy a new mobo. Buying the same type of CD writer is just building up trouble for your next upgrade

EARLTHEPEARL
claim it on your house insurance/
or/
format your HD and reload//can't hurt

------------------
etp

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-25-2001 09:26 AM
There have been some problems with the 810 MOBO. But if you can get it to work , who cares!
The intel815eea is a very stable board if your an INTEL man. If not get the ASUS duron ddr.

EARLTHEPEARL
I had to laugh with OC freak! I'm sorry! It won't happen again.
PS/My friend(yes I have one), built a house around his swimming pool. Maybe you could build a box around your new plexi!

spacemonkey15

I have managed to pick up a "promise PCI Ultra ATA 100TX2 controller card" for 22.00.
I should get it sometime next week.

I had a look around the net earlier on today and found a few other posts about the 6178 mobo intel 810 not working with "ATAPI Interface (PIO Mode 4, Multiword DMA Mode 2, UDMA/33 Mode 2)".

So hopefully this controller card will fix my nightmare once and for all. I wont hold my breath though !!

I got a pc tech from work to have a look at my pc and he said he had NEVER seen anything like this before. He also said that because the pc was stalling as soon as power up, no amount of altering bios settings would make any difference what so ever. His diagnosis was "thats ****ing weird, try a controller card or buy a new mobo".

Bloody pc's !! I should just stick to my playstation 2.

But without a burner how can i backup my ps2 collection ?!

I will post back after i have got the controller card so you can all have another good laugh !!

cheers everyone

spacemonkey ********clix.to/backupcentraluk

barracuda

Try using the CS jumper instead of master if the drive supports it.
My mobo don't go unless the master is set to CS if you have 2 drives on 1 channel(primary).

It would rarely make it through POST. Sounds like you have a similar problem. Justa hunch, though, since i think my cdrw on secondary is set to master.

Galron

It's sounds as a VERY frustrating error. Keep calm and when you get frustrated STOP solving the problem. A PC is NOT worth it!
When I can't find a problem, I always start with a basic setup: Powersupply (and no CASE!!!), Mainboard, CPU, vid-card (any ISA or PCI will do!!) and Memory + floppy drive and ofcourse a virus clean bootfloppy.

Adding Devices One by One, beginning with the one giving troubles can give some clues of incompatible hardware. If PC and drive won't work whith above discribed config, u know that this config gives u the problem. Try change the components One by One. (Memory and Vid-card). When that doesn't help u know it's the mainboard, cpu or powersupply. Try to change that (by borrowing !!!) and you might find the problem.

In your Case it isn't a driverproblem because your PC simply won't boot with the CDR drive connected.

I would certainly check following:
-Pull voodoo card outof system
-Pull HDD outof system

GOOD LUCK

spacemonkey15

did all that.
mobo+plex, mobo+plex+HD, mobo+plex+HD+voodoo,

non of the above got my pc to boot.

I have since got the damn drive working !!

guess how ?

i put EVERYTHING back into my pc.

connected the plex power supply.(no IDE)

booted pc.

entered bios.

went to "autodetect HD" screen.

connected IDE onto plex (jumper as master).

clicked "detect".

and wallop.... it found the plex.

I have since been doing some burning using nero and clone. Everything seems fine, i have no conflicts in devices/system.
I can burn 783mb in 4 mins (mp3 to cda).
Also tested a few ps2 backups, all working fine .

However, when i power off my pc i have to remove the IDE again before booting. Then re-connect when in bios !

Im not to sure if this is wise but it is working. I just hope i dont blow my pc up connecting the IDE to the plex in bios.

Can anyone explain this ?

spacemonkey ********clix.to/backupcentraluk

jase
Ouch.
This is definitely a power supply problem of some description. It seems that something is happening when you first switch the PC on which is stopping the mobo from seeing the power as "good". Does the green light come on at the front out of interest.

I don't recommend doing this as a permanent measure. You will fry your mobo eventually. When are you getting the new IDE card?

OC-Freak

Agree, it's either the mobo or the powersupply.......
Connecting and disconnecting things when the PC is on is never a good idea......You'll remember this if your mobo blows....

EARLTHEPEARL

I hope the IDE card fixes it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It sure sounds like new case and mobo time.
------------------
etp

Greven
Junior Member posted 10-29-2001 09:05 AM
Ehhhh...
Sorry to say but I've had big problems with the "promise PCI Ultra ATA 100TX2 controller card" and LiteON 24x. The 100TX2 works perfectly with HD's however connect a CD or CDR to it an it hangs the machine when the drive is accessed. The LiteON works like a charm on the onboard UDMA 33 however connect it to the Promise and it hangs. Maybe this is only my machine (running WinME) and I hope you have better luck.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else have got a Ultra100TX2 working with the LiteON?

/Greven

EARLTHEPEARL

Greven, his on board controller is not working. So this is his last try and he switched the liteon for a plexi.
------------------
etp

spacemonkey15

i still havent heard back from dabs about the controller card
their email reply service is crap

hopefully i will be able to get one from somewhere !

anyone know any UK sites which sell the "promise PCI EIDE ATA100" controller card ?

jase

Like I say try ebay

morfeus
Member posted 10-31-2001 07:19 PM
Spacemonkey15, I believe jase is on the right path when he says that it is likely that something happens at the start to make the mobo think that the power is not 'good'. I wonder if it is a particular power line (as jase said, the 12v line, perhaps) that needs to be spot on for these new-fangled 24speedsters? Perhaps even the 250W you tried at work wasn't good enough?
I wonder if the reason you can connect the ide in bios and make it work is because by then the power supply has 'settled down' and is able to supply a steady, clean voltage?

It would seem unlikely that the IDE controller on the *ntel mobo is incompatible since it does work - in a fashion! The engineer guy at work was probably right when he said its unlikely to be the bios because its not even getting to a stage where the bios can say "I don't like that CDRW or whatever - so I won't do the POST" because I thought the very first thing which gets initialised is the video card and then the cpu is checked followed by memory and THEN the various drives/ bits 'n' pieces (no pun intended! etc.

Sorry if this post is a bit long and probably doesn't make much sense, but maybe it'll help?

cHodAX

spacemonkey15 I have seen this happen twice m8 with very similar circumstances. The first was a 250w power supply not putting out enough juice on one of the power rails. An Enermax 350w cured the problem instantly. The second was an Intel P3 chipset motherboard, there was a setting in the BIOS something like 'IDE Delay' which only gave power to the drives after POST. This slowed boot times by 5 seconds but cured it completly.
btw there is a very good chance a UDMA100 PCI Controller card will cure the problem if it is not power related, it wouldn't be the first motherboard BIOS to be flaky with ATAPI drives. Abit and Microstar have done it with a number of boards over the last 2 years.

Hope this helps.

EARLTHEPEARL

Spacemonkey!!!!! Did we leave you on the spacestation/alone
------------------
etp

Gazza
Member posted 11-06-2001 09:18 PM
I think it's because the LiteOn has an Atapi\UDMA 33 Interface.
I have just had a similar problem with an Artec reader that has the same interface, the
BIOS refused to detect it, or them, should I say, I thought the first one was faulty and returned it, but the replacement was just the same, I now have a plain simple LG 52x Atapi drive that works fine.

The most annoying thing is, I have just received an email from my local trade counter offering these drives for 85.00, but it's no use me buying one cos I know it wont work.

BTW: The Mobo is one of the first slot A Athlon boards ( FIC ), I would have upgraded, but I bought the 600MHZ Athlon as soon as it came out, still I,ve nearly finished paying for it.!

Regards,

Gazza.

spacemonkey15
Member posted 11-07-2001 12:59 PM
sorry about coming back earlier.
i have since received the "promise ata100 xt2 controller card" and everything is now working fine

the card picks the drive up as udma2 ?
(i think thats what it says when the cards own bios kicks in).

anyway, thanks for all the help and good advise.

nodoubt i will be back when my mobo blows up

thanks again

spacemonkey

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 11-07-2001 04:46 PM
Great!!!!!
------------------
etp

lio256
Junior Member posted 12-04-2001 09:02 PM
Great Story guys!!!
With a Happy Ending...isn't that nice.

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 12-28-2001 08:12 AM
I moved this up because of new liteon 24x problems.

speckulator
Member posted 12-28-2001 04:43 PM
Just wanted to say it is nice to see this story has an ending that doesn't involve a hammer, gun or psyciatrist! I thought I was the only one that gets wackey problems like that.
Happy Burning
Speck

bigv

hi could you post liteon phone number need to contact them writer knacked.

ps please vern

bigv

hi could you post liteon phone number need to contact them writer knacked.

ps please vern

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 12-29-2001 06:39 AM
***********.liteonit.com.tw/index-english.htm
------------------
etp
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:24 AM

Default slave to master

how do you set your dvd writer to master instead of slave?
Old Jan 19, 2005, 05:12 PM
Veteran

Wow! Oldie but goodie!
Sure just open up your case and check the back of the drives, the jumpers are clearly marked. Make one jumper slave on one drive and master on the other. Then check device manager when you are done to see what you have.
Please unplug the case first.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:39 PM

Purpose the borrowing is owned by steeper estimates of interest. The business providers ask the individuals into clear the financing value too interest within a fortnight. The borrowers ought to be fair in reward the fastened measure and cannot ignore quick package. Cash loan Brisbane is for the money seekers for a number of needs. An owner building manufacturer or perhaps in a workplace in Ontario are given a payday at the outset of each and every month. Hence, it should be freed from protection. Second, yet for fax huge number reports comprising their particular details as facsimile is simply not required. Sanctioned couple of 24 hours, wedding reception note application is now over for installment. Sometimes, down the middle of the month, he finds that his wallet should be void. Fourth, they receive the financing amount nearly immediately.

[url=***********.blogcatalog.com/user/cannady/bio/]payday loans online in canada

payday loans canada cost
payday loans canada abbotsford

payday loans canada info

[url=***********.ted.com/profiles/1209386]payday loans canada fredericton

[url=********sourceforge.net/users/cannady]instant online payday loans canada