CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 95
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 03, 2003, 11:34 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

boot the PC with a boot floppy, 95 or 98 will do

choose to boot with CD rom support

let the floppy finish

put the cd in the drive

at the A prompt change it to the CD drive (either D or E usually)

at the E (?) prompt type setup.exe

the cd should now run and install the OS

hopefully this will have reinstalled your windows 95 for you and fixd the faults you have in the registry and other areas by the sound of things.

Dont run the set up file whilst already in windows, some of the reg files are protected from change whilst in use.

sounds like an old PC, office 2000 pro is on 4 cd's, will this much fit onto the PC?
Old Apr 03, 2003, 01:36 PM
Veteran

Thanks for that. The PC is about 5 years old but, it has loads of room on it. will the pc still have all it's settings after that, i.e. the dial up networking stuff and saved documents etc? Or will it all need to be put back on?
Steeve.
Old Apr 03, 2003, 01:53 PM
Veteran

The PC should retain all the settings you currently have, it really depends on what parts of the OS are currently corrupted or damaged, if there replaced/rebuilt then the setting will need re-applying, shouldn't be a problem though, the bigger issue would be due to the limitations of 95 if you had to format the drive and reinstall win95 from fresh, you would also need all of the drivers for the hardware running. reinstalling as you plan to do, all the drivers are present, the saved documents will be unaffected.
Old Apr 03, 2003, 01:58 PM
Veteran

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I'll give that a try, if all fails, I've got W98 somewhere, I could put that on.
Steeve.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 08:03 AM
Veteran

Ok, I've given up on it. I re-formatted, I've put ME on & guess what it did it again. The blue progress line stops about halfway, I get impatient after about 15 mins and cancel the installation. I don't remember it ever taking as long as that. Should I just wait an hour or so for it to install?
Steeve.