CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 31, 2007, 03:24 PM

Question no sound from two sound cards

sponsored links

hey hows it going?

I recently built a new computer, running XP with a PcChips M960GV mobo.

It has onboard sound, c-media, which I couldnt get to work. The driver installs, it shows up with no errors in device manager, but all the options in control panel are greyed out, and anything i open that requires sound errors and says nothing is installed.

There were other sound drivers on the mobo CD, one for Sis, and one for generic Realtek AC97 drivers, loaded both, same problem as with the c-media drivers.

I went into the properties of the sound card in device manager, made sure the card was set to be used, rebooted, still nothing.

So i figured it was either a jumper setting somewhere, or a fried sound controller, so I went to my standby, a yamaha PCI DX soundcard, i disabled the onboard in the BIOS, went into safe mode, removed any other previous sound drivers, rebooted, loaded the yamaha drivers, and the same thing happened again.

I'm lost, I've also tried getting the sound drivers thru windows update, thinking that the ones i got werent signed, still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a jumper setting somewhere i missed?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Never use Windows Update for hardware drivers. It's a hit and miss affair and can install the wrong drivers.

Uninstall all your audio drivers completely. You may have to manually do so. Do not leave any behind.

Remove your PCI soundcard, then go to PcChips' website and download the latest compatible motherboard/chipset drivers and install them.

Install the sound card, preferably to a different PCI slot. (Depending on which card you are using. If it's onboard, obviously ignore this step) (I'd try onboard first)

Check it's enabled in the Bios and onboard is disabled (only if it's a PCI card), then go to desktop and install the sound card drivers. (See if C-Media have any updated drivers for your model onboard)

Last edited by Insomniac; Mar 31, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
Never use Windows Update for hardware drivers. It's a hit and miss affair and can install the wrong drivers.
gotcha, ill remember that

Quote:
Uninstall all your audio drivers completely. You may have to manually do so. Do not leave any behind.
the joys of safemode lol

Quote:
Remove your PCI soundcard, then go to PcChips' website and download the latest compatible motherboard/chipset drivers and install them.

Install the sound card, preferably to a different PCI slot. (Depending on which card you are using. If it's onboard, obviously ignore this step) (I'd try onboard first)

Check it's enabled in the Bios and onboard is disabled (only if it's a PCI card), then go to desktop and install the sound card drivers. (See if C-Media have any updated drivers for your model onboard)
done, same as it was before, everything shows up fine in device manager, but in sound properties everything is greyed out and states there is no audio device available

no errors while installing, not even a windows signature warning

also, the windows audio service is started, and i do have administrative rights

i think thats all the info needed, but yeah, im still at a loss, could the jumpers on the mobo for the front audio panel be the culprit? theres a jumper going across the 5-6 pins, and the 9-10 pins, there isnt an 8 pin, which im assuming is the key?

i dont know, im retarded lol
Old Mar 31, 2007, 09:28 PM
Veteran

The C-Media CMI9761A 6-channel audio Codec on board audio is Compliant with AC'97 2.3 specification.

You need to make sure that the onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS if you want to use it.

Install the C-Media CMI9761A 6-channel audio drivers.

Try here for the latest drivers for your mobo.
***********.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=22&LanID=2&DetailID=346 &DetailName=Driver

Click on the Driver button.

colin.

Last edited by chandler68; Mar 31, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 06:14 PM

Onboard sound was enabled, the found new hardware wizard came up, and i loaded the drivers from the mobo cd.

tried your drivers, they are the same ones on the cd, and finished with the same results, everything is still greyed out/unavailable in control panel
Old Apr 01, 2007, 06:33 PM
Veteran

In that case i would get the mobo checked out, it could be faulty.

As for a jumper not being set right, i should check the manual (this could be in pdf format on the moboe's driver disc), this should say how the onboard sound is configured and installed.

colin.