CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 29, 2002, 01:02 AM

Angry CDROM Drive Problem! [; ; winXP]

sponsored links

This is really getting on my nerves I bought a custom built computer two years back and since then I'm having frequent problem with the CDROM drive (D:\). This is a generic drive. When I start my computer the opening screen that shows the BIOS version shows that "Secondary Master - ATAPI incompatible. Press F1 to continue". After pressing F1 Windows starts. When I check My Computer, CD drive is gone! I have to do restarting a few times before the CD drive shows up. I took the computer to the shop that built this but they said that there is nothing wrong with the computer and that they didn't find the problem that I'm talking about. I upgraded the BIOS, reformatted the computer, changed my OS from Win98SE to Win2000PRO to WinXP PRO, checked the cables so many times I don't even remember but this problem is still there. Now everytime I start the computer, I keep on praying that it starts with CD Drive. Could anyone plz help me solve this problem that has become a pain in the ...!

My PC configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 6VX74X
CPU: P-III 733 MHz
RAM: 256 MB
Video: RIVA TNT PRO
Old Oct 29, 2002, 07:32 AM
Veteran

If you've checked all the cables, it sounds like a problem with the BIOS (unless your drive is physically knackered). You could try to flash the BIOS with the latest version, although this can be dangerous, or maybe go into BIOS and restore all settings to default to see if this helps.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:26 AM
Veteran

Are the BIOS settings for detecting your drive on auto or manual? play about with these, then try it in different positions on the IDE channels. Flash the BIOS as a last resort!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Do you have your bios set to auto detect the drive? If so, shut auto detect off...

Your cd-rom is the slave; you can try switching with the cdrw. It means physically removing the drives, changing the jumpers on the back of the drives and then reinstalling them.

HD - Primary Master
CD Rom - Primary Slave
CD-RW - Secondary Master
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:42 PM

I updated BIOS quite a few times previously, also tried with the default settings but this problem occurs from time to time. It's never gone. I don't have a CDRW. Would it be possible to set my CD Drive to Primary Slave without CDRW?
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:45 PM
Veteran

Yeah that's not a prob, just take it out set the jumper on the back to slave and stick it on the same IDE cable as the HD.