CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 02, 2004, 09:17 AM
Veteran

Default Vdubmod not recognising xvid codec

sponsored links

Hey guys and happy new year to all- hope everyone had a good festive period and best of luck for the year to come!

Now onto my question

Over the hols i removed all the codec packs i had on my machine, and got my self the latest xvid 1 beta release (from koepi's website).

I have been using vdubmod that came with GKnot rip pack for a couple of months but since removing the codec packs and generally streamlining my machine as much as possible without doing a complete re-install, i'm unable use the xvid codec- it just doesn't come up as an option when i select the compression mode.

I uninstalled Gknot and got the latest vdubmod version from sourceforge and that didn't help either.

The wierd thing is that using the Gknot front end i can do encodes with xvid but to be honest i don't need the additional stuff that the gknot front end has.

I tried to register the xvid.dll and for some reason it wouldn't let me- is there anyway of manually adding xvid to vdubmod list of available codecs?

thanks very much for your help in advance guys

oh yeah i forgot to ask this as well- is there an audio codec that allows you to play back aac encoded files in something like media player classic? I've been doing the aac encoding using nero's wav editor, are there any other options, as i have an ac3 source that nero doesn't seem to like as a source

Last edited by nimbles; Jan 02, 2004 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2004, 04:04 AM
Veteran

GKNot does not support devapi4 builds.

Latest XviD no longer has an XviD.DLL. It now has a core dll which both the directshow (xvid.ax) and vfw (xvidvfw.dll) link to. Koepi's latest build I think is till in the old format where you have an independant xvid.ax and xvid.dll.

If you are running 2k or XP, then I would suggest that the problem is a corrupt entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Look for any blank vidc entries, remove them and then reinstall XviD.

For aac I would suggest coreaac (which you can find at rarewares or build yourself). 3ivX also comes with a faad2 based dshow decoder though.

As for Nero and AC3's, get the AC3 plugin. You might also want to try some of the nero mp4 front ends that are out there such as nencode, EziiiEncode or Foobar2k.
Old Jan 03, 2004, 09:55 AM
Veteran

thanks celtic_druid, that did the trick with vdubmod

do you know of like a glossary site that explains all the different terms in the xvid set up, such as bframes, quarterpel, i frames, and general motion compensation?

I just did an encode with the quarterpel option checked along with gmc (both of which seem new to me), the quality on the pc is great (source is a dvd compliant mpeg2 stream with ac3 audio), but it doesn't play on xbox media player- which i realise is likely to be because of some of the new features that have been introduced since the last cvs build of xbmp was released.

I just wanted to know what the terms all meant so that in future until a new build of xbmp/xbmc is released i can at least encode avi's that will be compatible with the player.

as a quick aside, will the avi container cope with an aac audio stream or is the ogm or mkv container the way to go?
Old Jan 03, 2004, 12:24 PM
Veteran

Qpel should be fine, it has been part of XviD for ages, as has GMC, just not three warp point GMC.

GMC slows down encode times without too much of a quality gain. If it won't work on your XBox then I would definatly suggest that you don't use it. Most current standalones can also only handle one warp point GMC (as used by DivX). GMC may not be the problem though.

As for a glossary, check the XviD forum over at doom9.

Most of those terms are not specific to XviD though. For instance I, b and p frames have been around a lot longer than XviD and MPEG4 for that matter though. qPel and GMC are also not unique to XviD.

As for AAC in AVI, alexnoe recently hacked it in, so I guess technically it is possible, doesn't mean it should be done though.

You left out MP4. AAC LE/HE of course works fine in MP4 to.

For AAC I would suggest MKV or MP4. If you use packed bitstream and mux your mp4 using the 3ivX muxer then you should get a valid mp4 file.