CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 22, 2005, 04:32 PM

Default DUO2 SE VS. MarsIII MA-502 mochip.

sponsored links

I have a v7 PS2 (PAL) SCPH-39004.
It was premoded with original Magic 3.1 mod-chip.
I got a really weird problem with the mod-chip.
All my backupís, original games etc. would play fine but on games like Splinter Cell & the original DEMO discs which I get from the PS2 magazine, MGS:2 Substance & other games I encounter a weird problem.
In Splinter Cell whenever a new level loads I used to get the red clouds error saying insert PS2 or PS1 disk. Same with the original demo disc when I played a game & then went back to the menu of the demo disc I used to get this error. & in MGS2 whenever I selected skateboarding game & went back to the original game I used to get this error.
So I removed the mod-chip & played original Splinter Cell, MGS:2 & the same demo disc game & didnít get that error, not even once.
So it had to be the mod-chipís fault.

But a month back I took it to a repair shop & the guy installed a new mod in my PS2 (dunno which one but maybe he too installed the magic mod-chip) & again I got these same errors. I returned the mod-chip.

Now I can understand that 1 modchip being faulty but another one also giving same errors? I donít understand this weird problem with my PS2? (does it mean that my PS2 doesnít support mod-chips or something?)

Anyways I was looking to give it a one last shot & get a new mod-chip(definitely not a Magic one!)
So Iíve come down to these 2 chips
Duo 2 SE & Mars III MA-502.
Which one will perform better & play the new DVD-9 games(backups as well) without any problems.

On www.robotpig.com it says that the Mars III is supposedly better than the DUO2 SE chip also I hear that DUO2 has a stolen ICE or something?

Iím confused! Iím leaning towards the DUO2 SE chip, shall I go for it or get the Mars one?
I will be getting the DUO 2 SE chip form here. ***********.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info.php?products_id=269

Is it a good price for the chip?

Thanks.
Old May 27, 2005, 06:02 AM

I have used Duo2 in a couple of systems and I haven't seen any trouble with them so far.. I have used Mars too a few times without trouble so I'd say anyone goes. Duo2 definitely runs DVD-9. I can't see why mars shouldn't but I haven't tried.

I haven't tried Magic 3 personally, but I do know that there are games out there that they don't play very well.. They were cool back in the day, but time has caught up with them and there is trouble with them nowadays.
Old May 27, 2005, 12:13 PM

the v7 is one of the top oldstlye consoles for chipping, so it definately wouldn't be your console. Why not spend a few quid more and go for something like the Matrix infinity. That way you'd be able to flash the chip whenever anything new comes up. Also it autoboots all your discs so no more having to mess around with modes and stuff.

For all your Premod, chip and fitting needs in the U.K. Full postal service, 3 month warranty on all sales.
www.ghost2fitter.co.uk