CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:45 PM

sponsored links

now...... this is just weird.
I have cleaned up the board a bit... there was quite some flux over the connections.
I put everything together and went to tried again. (note. i didn't touch the board for two days. don't know if the cold boot has anything to do with it.)
So... to my surprise, the ps2 booted!... i pressed eject... the tray came out!
Then to make sure, i pressed reset a few times and it came back a few times.
So then i put in a dvd video.... and.... nothing... went to browse... it was not "reading disc", i dont think the disc was spinning. So then i just shut off the power and turn on again, press on reset and guess what. the machine would not boot anymore, neither does the eject button. I'm back to the beginning....
any thoughts what might be causing this? perhaps better cleaning is needed?
what's a good way to remove the flux between pins of an ic?
Old Jun 16, 2005, 01:19 AM

third post of the day.
I've been doing some more cleaning.... this time with isopropyl alcohol, q tips and a tooth brush.
after extensive cleaning, it is now booting again.
I popped in the dvd and started playing the movie for like 10 secs. and it stalled. and the disc would not spin anymore.
even if i reset and reset... it will not spin anymore. I see that each time i eject and insert the disc.... they drive would "try" to spin for a fraction of a second and then nothing.
Another odd thing, the system settings seems to not retain the information.
eg. i change the language to english, but after resetting it goes back to jap.
it seems to be selective also, the time is retained after resetting for example.
However, I cannot set the time properly... like i was changing the year to 2005... after i press on ok button it would jump to 2004 by itself. really odd.. i can only choose certain dates/times......
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:42 AM

does anyone know if i could replace a v4 jap mobo with a v4 US mobo?
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felchi80
third post of the day.
I've been doing some more cleaning.... this time with isopropyl alcohol, q tips and a tooth brush.
after extensive cleaning, it is now booting again.
I popped in the dvd and started playing the movie for like 10 secs. and it stalled. and the disc would not spin anymore.
even if i reset and reset... it will not spin anymore. I see that each time i eject and insert the disc.... they drive would "try" to spin for a fraction of a second and then nothing.
Another odd thing, the system settings seems to not retain the information.
eg. i change the language to english, but after resetting it goes back to jap.
it seems to be selective also, the time is retained after resetting for example.
However, I cannot set the time properly... like i was changing the year to 2005... after i press on ok button it would jump to 2004 by itself. really odd.. i can only choose certain dates/times......

hi mate. The fact that after cleaning you managed to boot your dvd suggests that there is still some flux causing you problems as it heats. Flux will conduct when it heats, if you have used an excessive amount you may have some stuck behind your bio's legs. Id suggest giving it a good clean again and blowing out the chip legs with a high pressure air hose. I've had a couple of customers report sucess with this method.

Not sure about the jap to U.s board, but will take a look later and let you know, but i would have thought that should be fine.

For all your U.K premod, chip and fitting needs. Full postal service, 3 month warranty on all sales.

www.ghost2fitter.co.uk

[email]sales@ghost2fitter.co.uk[/email]
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:10 PM

hm... i dont know where i could find one.... i dont supposed those duster cans are strong enough coz i've already tried that.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 02:54 PM

you can buy can's of compressed air, or you'l look a bit of a plank, but can be done at a garage