CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 01, 2002, 12:44 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Laptop buying advice needed

sponsored links

Hey, dunno if this should really go here but its the best place ive found (im usually in gsm forum) so er just looking for advice in general please from people that know more than me lol!

I intend to buy a laptop soon, but with a few main twists - i want to use it as a portable sound and music kinda workstation, with teh ability to also create music on it (music production) and for hooking it up to sound sources to record and edit etc.

I have been advised as a spec of around

P3 500
15 gig hd
256 RAM

I need to be able to hook it up to line sources, and also the internet, etc, general stuff.

I'm just thinking of a pretty standard laptop with a generous HD and a lot of RAM, because i'll be dealing with a lot of programs, editing music, and large sound files in wav or mp3 format.

How much would I be looking to spend on somethin like this ? Small as poss as well please

thanks

: oh yeh needs to b able to play games and that to hehe v important!!!

Last edited by millasur; Jul 01, 2002 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2002, 10:00 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

bump this one come on people hehe
Old Jul 06, 2002, 06:34 PM

Depends on what you want m8. I reckon Dell is the best quality - but you pay a price for that. You could pick up a Compaq machine with the spec you mentioned for around 700 (at least that was when I bought my machine at the beginning of the year). After shopping around i went for a Tiny machine, as they seemed to be a good combination of spec and price. I paid 1200 for a P3 1GHz processor, DVD/CD-RW Drive, 30gig HD and 512megs of RAM. You should be able to do better than that now though. Hope that's helped a bit.
Old Jul 07, 2002, 01:13 AM
Veteran

Advent are good mate i am on my 2nd one from them , cheap enough too mate , worth a look