CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:46 AM
Veteran

Default Laptop Problem after POST

sponsored links

Hello Buddy,

I have a laptop 'Emachines eSlate 450K'. Its a AMD K6-2 450 powered machine along with Phoenix BIOS Release 6.0 and 256 MB RAM module which I added afterwards. Its a low priced not so powerful laptop but sufficient to take my workload.

Now there is some problem with this stuff. It passes all the POST and just stops. No beep(s) or error message(s). If I press F2 for CMOS Setup, it shows "Entering setup..." but never goes in. It's not like "Hang" since Keyboard indicators like CAPS, NumLock can be toggled. But I have noticed that the cooling fan just stops spinning after a minute or so.

What could this be ??? Any solutions/ guidelines you can give to overcome the said situation

Thanks for your time mate

[IMG]********mastermind21.homestead.com/files/MasterMind2K1.gif[/IMG]
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:06 PM
Veteran

Your laptop is old and it is possible CMOS battery should be terminate. Verify it. It seems isn't power at BIOS memory.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:30 PM
Veteran

Thanks Ageamiu. I checked for the voltage level of Battery and it's 3.02 V. Another point.... If it was battery I should have been prompted that the defaults have been loaded or something similar.

Anyway I replaced the same battery after 10Mins. or so and it gave me the option to change default settings of CMOS. I was able to access the CMOS setup. But when I saved the changes and Exit........ Same story...
Old Jul 25, 2002, 03:34 PM
Veteran

Let's check now the Power Supply. Has it the standard voltage? The main battery is it in order? The OS is properly installed? If BIOS permits changing and changes were saved, it's Operating System's territory. Here is the problem.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 04:03 PM
Veteran

I did it. It was a broken solder at SMD PCI IDE Chip. Must be because of almost 60 C temperature. Took 2:30 Hrs. to solder, and lots of eye strain; but finally worked great.

Thanks Ageamiu for your F1.

Last edited by MasterMind; Jul 26, 2002 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 05:36 PM
Veteran

You're welcome. I'm very glad your machine is working fine. Only this thing is important.