CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 29, 2004, 09:31 AM
Veteran

Default laptop problem

sponsored links

Hiya guys my laptop is playing up basicly it takes ages to load on to desktop and doesnt let me do anything! is there any way i can etheir reset it without going to desktop etc....... any advice would be great!

Its on Win 98!
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:10 AM

Hi,

When it first starts to boot, hit the 'F8' key repeatedly until it gives you a menu. From there, choose to boot into safe mode. Most likely it is either a virus or some sort of adware/spyware loading at boot, so go to start and run and type 'msconfig'. Under startup you will see what is being loaded at boot. Uncheck anything that looks suspicious. The best way to go about that is, uncheck pretty much everything except a few core things, then reboot slowly adding back your programs until you find the culprit.

SonicBoom
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:41 AM
Veteran

hiya m8 will try it also screen kind of shakes? amd when i go to my computer it doesnt show that i have a cd disc drive ever?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:46 AM

Well, I'd say it doesn't sound like a hardware problem simply because there is so much going on with it, and it doesn't sound like we could narrow it down to your video card or disk drive... unless you dropped your computer of course .

With that in mind, I would definitely persue the possibility of a virus or some sort of mal-running programming starting at boot.

SonicBoom
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:53 AM
Veteran

okay thanks m8 was thinking isthere anyway of completely earseing everything before it gets 2 desktop???
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:56 AM

If you want to erase everything, you can format your hard drive and re-install Windows 98. If you have the Windows 98 disk, just pop it in your hard drive and reboot. Most machines will already be set to boot of the cdrom, if it does not, you'll need to specify that in BIOS.

If you have a recovery CD (Which comes with most commercial PC's in place of an actual OS cd), then the process is pretty much the same. Once it boots from the CD, it usually gives you options, just make sure you specify to format the drive before reinstalling.

SonicBoom