CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 07, 2002, 09:08 PM
Veteran

Question Anyone else get this virus warning email?

sponsored links

I received this email from a friend and want to know if it really is a virus cause I found it on my computer also. If it is, how did I receive it if I never even open any attachment or even received any at all? Here is the entire email below:

"Very sorry if you received the virus.

A friend of mine ended up forwarding a virus to me. It is spread from address book to address book. It is apparently undetectable by Norton and McAfee (anti-virus programs). It remains dormant for about 14 days then activates and wipes out the hard drive data. Unfortunately, because you're in my book, you might now have it.

Instructions on finding and removing (pretty simple):
Go to 'start' - then to 'find or search' ; (depending on your computer) In the 'search for files or folders' type in this address: sulfnbk.exe --- this is the virus. In the 'look in' make sure you're searching Drive C.Hit 'search' button (or find) ; If this file shows up (it's an ugly; blackish icon that will have the name 'sulfnbk.exe') DO NOT OPEN IT Right click on the file - go down to delete and left click. It will ask you if you want to
send it to the recycle bin, say yes. Go to your desktop (where all your icons are) and double click on the recycle bin. Right click on sulfnbk.exe and delete again - or empty the bin. If you find it, send this email to all in your address book, because that's how it's transferred. Sorry for the bad news. Hopefully, you won't find it, or at least will find it in time to avoid the problems with your hard drive.

If you do find it, delete it immediately and then email everyone in your address book as this is how the virus spreads - without your knowing it! Sorry for the hassle!

Marlon Flores
Quay Strategies Inc."
Old Jan 07, 2002, 09:36 PM

Cool

O.K. that's a little scary, I just checked and it was on my PC. So I removed it. Thanks
Old Jan 07, 2002, 09:53 PM

It's probably a hoax, you can check it out here:
***********.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html
Jim T
Old Jan 07, 2002, 10:03 PM

looks like a hoast there was one b4 like this where the was a message sent out like this and the "so called virus" u were supposed to delete was actually a system file u needed to run the computer so make sure thats not the case and be sure that this is not a system file cause that wouldnt be good
Old Jan 07, 2002, 10:44 PM

Cool

Doh!

Thanks for the link it gives info about how to go about restoring the file if you deleted it.(I feel like such a sucker)
Old Jan 07, 2002, 11:26 PM

Don't feel too bad, it happens to everyone now and then...

Jim T