CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 23, 2002, 03:07 PM

Unhappy Backups for Modded PS One won't work on Modded PS2????

sponsored links

Well, I have a library of 80+ PSX backups. The wierdness begins when I now attempt to run these backups on either of my modded PS2 consoles. A few worked fine on my PS2 that were on TDK 74min media. None of the ones on Memorex 74 min media worked. Still other games on the same TDK media that loads and runs fine on the PSX console will not load on the PS2 with the normal suggested boot methods. Others will only run on the PS2 if I do a swap method as if they were imports, even though these are U.S. games. Some wouldn't run at all. I tried succesfully to re-burn a few onto different brand media (Verbatim, Kodak) and got them to boot normally on the PS2. However some still come up on the PS2 indicating that the tracks are from an audio CD starting from track 2. Frogger for PSX was one of them. I re-burned it again and omitted the audio tracks and even then I only got it to load with an import PSX game swap trick. The interesting thing is that all the burns old or new will run on the Modded PSX console???? The problem is with the PS2. Any suggestions? Anyone ever have the same problems?

Last edited by sengimage; Jan 23, 2002 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 12:42 AM
Veteran

Default Re: Backups for Modded PS One won't work on Modded PS2????

Certain brands of media work better than others for the PS2 I use verbatim (the green bottom ones) memorex in a pinch and PNY black CDs and they all work pretty good with my version 4 laser but I have noticed on other peoples PS2s that I have modded do that the same thing with my disks that you described.

Some of the games that you have tried to put on better media that wouldnt read in your ps2 might be scratched and whe you copy them it might not read the copy as well thus makes a back up that wont work

Trying to copy onto better media might be your only hope other than adjusting the cd pot or cleaning your laser lens you can fix the scratched games with a disk doctor before you copy them too

Last edited by ps2daddy; Jan 24, 2002 at 12:44 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 07:30 AM

Thanks PS2Daddy. But I'd have to add that I always took care to treat the burns old and new like fragile items. The copies are perfectly intact without a single scratch on them.

The one problem that I discribed with the discs being detected as an audio CD seems to only happen with those that actually have audio tracks in addition to the ISO track. I can get them to play if I re-burn and omit the audio tracks. Then I have to still boot as an import swap on a few of them.

I'll try getting some of the media as you suggest and try again.

Are there any laser cleaning kits that you recommend overall. Or would opening the unit to give the lens a real cleaning be better?

And final question...On my DVD to VCD conversions I can only get my Sony DVD carousel to play them if the media is CD-RW. So would the same hold true for many of the PSX burns, Considering that the PS2 is also a DVD player of the same brand as my carousel? The following site claims that the PS2 will not play movies, but will play games on DVD-RW media and hasn't had enough feedback on CD-RW media to make a confirmed post....

***********.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

So....Have you ever tried CD-RW media for games? Anyone?

Old Jan 24, 2002, 08:21 AM
Veteran

Interresting, mine were immaculate also but I let someone borrow them and they scratched a lot of them up when they were making copies

AS for your games, I am thinking it is the brand of CD's that you used might have not provided a reflective enough surface or not as good as a quality as others so when you make a backup to better media it might not make a difference from some games
(this is just a theory that I have)

(I had a Psone silver of the game Smurf and it would not play in my PS2 it would go to the audio select screen but the copy I made worked fine. The original silver would work fine in my chipped PSone though)

You might want to open it up an clean it with a cotton swab with alcohol on it an let it dry a about 15 min or more before you fire the PS2 backup.

Even though the same mechanism is used for the Sony PS2 and the Sony DVD player they dont have the same features due to the chip programming of the 2 devices

There are actually 2 wavlengths of light that the laser reads at to read CD's and DVD's and the cd games will be seen as cd games whether they are on a CD-Rom, CD-R,or CD-RW. The PS2 will not read CD-RW's but you could probably adjust it to work if you really wanted it to but it would have problems reading CD-r's and maybe CD-roms then so you might not want to do that.

For DVD players the reflectivity of the CD-RW is closer to the DVD-Rom wavelength so they will work while CD's wont some DVD players have the ability to detect CD's and switch the power to the cd required wavelength so they will play CD-r's but they will state that feature and you will have to pay extra for those DVD players though ususally

This also holds true for DVD-RW's most PS2's wont read them (about 99% wont I have heard one guy that it does work for) but they could be adjusted to do so but that could really mess up your dvd-r games and original DVD games and movies

Last edited by ps2daddy; Jan 24, 2002 at 08:34 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 01:52 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by sengimage [/i]
[B]Well, I have a library of 80+ PSX backups. The wierdness begins when I now attempt to run these backups on either of my modded PS2 consoles. A few worked fine on my PS2 that were on TDK 74min media. None of the ones on Memorex 74 min media worked. Still other games on the same TDK media that loads and runs fine on the PSX console will not load on the PS2 with the normal suggested boot methods. Others will only run on the PS2 if I do a swap method as if they were imports, even though these are U.S. games. Some wouldn't run at all. I tried succesfully to re-burn a few onto different brand media (Verbatim, Kodak) and got them to boot normally on the PS2. However some still come up on the PS2 indicating that the tracks are from an audio CD starting from track 2. Frogger for PSX was one of them. I re-burned it again and omitted the audio tracks and even then I only got it to load with an import PSX game swap trick. The interesting thing is that all the burns old or new will run on the Modded PSX console???? The problem is with the PS2. Any suggestions? Anyone ever have the same problems?

[/B]
Old Jan 24, 2002, 01:57 PM

I'M GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON WITH THIS PROBLEM.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT IT.

I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL DISC'S INCLUDING VERB'S WITH NO JOY.