CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 25, 2002, 08:52 AM

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ps2daddy [/i]
[B]Interresting, mine were immaculate also but I let someone borrow them and they scratched a lot of them up when they were making copies[/B]
Lousy friends

Quote:
[B]AS for your games, I am thinking it is the brand of CD's that you used might have not provided a reflective enough surface or not as good as a quality as others so when you make a backup to better media it might not make a difference from some games
(this is just a theory that I have)[/B]
The theory might hold true if I were making the re-burns from CDR to CDR. But, I'm creating a disc image first then burning.

Quote:
[B](I had a Psone silver of the game Smurf and it would not play in my PS2 it would go to the audio select screen but the copy I made worked fine. The original silver would work fine in my chipped PSone though)[/B]
I haven't had this problem yet. Almost no chance of it happening since all my PSX games are CDr burns only.

Quote:
[B]You might want to open it up an clean it with a cotton swab with alcohol on it an let it dry a about 15 min or more before you fire the PS2 backup.[/B]
Did it last night on both PS2s. No improvement.

Quote:
[B]Even though the same mechanism is used for the Sony PS2 and the Sony DVD player they dont have the same features due to the chip programming of the 2 devices.[/B]
O.K.

Quote:
[B]There are actually 2 wavlengths of light that the laser reads at to read CD's and DVD's and the cd games will be seen as cd games whether they are on a CD-Rom, CD-R,or CD-RW. The PS2 will not read CD-RW's but you could probably adjust it to work if you really wanted it to but it would have problems reading CD-r's and maybe CD-roms then so you might not want to do that.[/B]
I'll try a few CD-RWs from various brands and see if there are possibilities with game burns. I did verify that CD-RW VCDs do work for movies on the PS2.

Quote:
[B]For DVD players the reflectivity of the CD-RW is closer to the DVD-Rom wavelength so they will work while CD's wont some DVD players have the ability to detect CD's and switch the power to the cd required wavelength so they will play CD-r's but they will state that feature and you will have to pay extra for those DVD players though ususally.[/B]
OK this explains why the VCDS on CD-RW work.

Quote:
[B]This also holds true for DVD-RW's most PS2's wont read them (about 99% wont I have heard one guy that it does work for) but they could be adjusted to do so but that could really mess up your dvd-r games and original DVD games and movies [/B]
Now... the VCDhelp website has claims that the DVD-RW will not work for movies, but does work for DVD-Rom games. I'll need to verify for myself.

My other option would be to take my second PS2 and just adjust the POTS on that one for the PSX burns and CD-RW, DVD-RW etc etc. Sucks though. All the hype about playing PSX copies on the Neo mods and yet nothing but problems and a steady stream of coasters.
Old Jan 25, 2002, 11:05 AM
Veteran

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AS for your games, I am thinking it is the brand of CD's that you used might have not provided a reflective enough surface or not as good as a quality as others so when you make a backup to better media it might not make a difference from some games
(this is just a theory that I have)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The theory might hold true if I were making the re-burns from CDR to CDR. But, I'm creating a disc image first then burning.

Humh try renting a game and burn it on a verbatim disk and see what happens

Can't help you on this one if that one doesn't help

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now... the VCDhelp website has claims that the DVD-RW will not work for movies, but does work for DVD-Rom games. I'll need to verify for myself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have made 3 attempts to get movies and games burned on a DVD-RW to work and they never did work for me (all with the same media pioneer DVD-RW)
I coudn't get the RW to play in my DVD player either though but the R would

I have tried 2 different CD-RW games and I couldnt get them to work either (with different media)

I think it is a laser issue not the chip though.
I think I was just lucky to find a version 4 with a good laser.

I have about 90 psone backups and around 87 read perfectly.

I have a serial number U4.......... Date code 1B version 4

I have chipped ate least 3 neo 2.2's that had problems with my PS2 backups. (even though they work fine on my PS2)

The versions of those PS2 were 1,2,& 4 that had problems but they would play PS2 backups and DVD-R just fine (my PS2 backups are mainly on verbatims and some memorex)

MY DVD bacukups are mainly on apple I have one tdk I am expermineting with some generic media I found at circuit city for $5

Last edited by ps2daddy; Jan 25, 2002 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2002, 11:17 AM
Veteran

The cd pot is not too hard to adjust but be very careful adjusting the DVD pot it is very sensitive I had had limited success adjusting them I have goten 1 out of 3 to work perfectly one that is good but takes alttle onger to read but it will paly dvd games now and one that was a failure

Take a baseline reading before you adjust
Old Jan 25, 2002, 11:36 AM

PS2Daddy,

Thank you for all the feedback. I guess it's a hit or miss issue with these PS2's ie. version, manufacture date, lot number etc, etc. I could try a few other things when the time allows, for now I'll need to keep my PSX.

Your recommendation about re- renting an original of one of those PSX burns and re- burning to better media sounds like a good option but I would still question it. Data is data after all. If you can extract it or make and verify an image It's still data matter where you put it, if the PS One can read it and the PS2 can't than perhaps it's a reflectivity issue and the media, but I have doubts that it's the content of the data or the quality of the originals since the PSX can read them, It's worth a try though so I'll give it a go.

Is it possible that burn speed is an issue? I've noticed when I burn at the appropriate speeds for the media being used my success for PS2 burns is 100%. So if the media is 8x or 16x then that's what I burn at. But, when I burn the PSX games I do it at either 1x or 2x regardless of the rating on the media, I follow the recommendations of PS24life although I was always burning for PSX that way even before his post. Do you burn them at the slower speeds too or do you go at the fastest settings available according to the media being used?

On the positive side...I can still play all the PS2 Burns on CDr or DVDr media. Never a problem after you pointed out all my clumsy timing issues with the swap methods.
Old Jan 25, 2002, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Humh I ususally burn at the fastest seed possible and I don't have problems.

I just bought a Lite On 32x12X40 CD-RW and I have used the 24X rated verbatims and they work fine.

I burn at 32X takes about 2min and I haven't noticed any problems with the games

Granted I have only burned 3 so far using this drive and I have only played the games about an hour or so a piece.

But they appear to be working fine.

As far as the reburning issue

I have notice that I have had a few games that didn't seem to work well with my PSone after I made a copy but when I ummm..obtained the same original games from different places they seemed to work fine.

On the games that didn't work I did notice that they did have a few errors show up using astarte disk copy but disk copy did finish making the image

I thought that this might have been due to the fact that the original disks might have been dirty or scratched (this was before I bought a disk dotcor I might add)

Since the lasers are different in the PSone and PS2 I think they are set to different frequecies and thus the same media might have a problem being read from one to the other due to the type of media
Old Jan 25, 2002, 02:19 PM
Veteran

MACDUDE,

You probably having probs cos your burners a bit effeminate... bit like yourself really .

Get a man burner you big jess. Burn some deep holes in yer media.

Seriously though m8, bout time you became a member instead of lurking around reading all the posts.

You should be having tonite so stop reading now...

dan