CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 29, 2002, 02:34 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

As i say wehave tried with my Region X, his region x, dongle version, no dongle version, my AR2, His AR2, Lots of different peoples AR2/DVD X

The story remains the same...

Those I burn he can eject swap......

Those he burns have to be knifed.....

The recorder has been the same.... A Iomega Predator on MY PC (eject swap fine).... His Mac (eject swap no go = knife swap O.K).
This writer was his that he brought round to try to see if that was the problem....it wasn't. I use Plextor as a rule and Liteon and sometimes a Mitsumi. Doesnt matter what I use though ALL the ones I do work fine (mostly on any Verbatim or Whietop brand media)

The sheer amount of configurations we have tried is baffling but the story remains the same.

You may be right his PS2 is possesed and hates CD's burned by a Mac.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 04:30 PM

Curious though. Did you ever try a different burner? Were the results the same with a different burner? Swap with your system burns and Knife with his burns?

DanMan, Anomalies happen all the time. Hard to explain this one. The interesting part is that you can see the data the same way on either burn With your PC's Cd-rom. So, in theory it should play just the same.

Unless as Ps2Daddy claims it's the laser pickup in combination with my claim of an underpowered writer.

What's the length of the cable between his mac and the burner?

Resistance can cause less power to the device and/or a weaker signal.

Did you ever try a shorter length? I've seen this fix burn issues in the past and it could apply here.

It goes a long way towards determining if it's the hardware. I know for a fact that my G-4's can't handle as many devices daisy chained as my PC off a firewire port. Perhaps a power fluctuation could cause "a weaker burn" on his mac configuration. As I think about it more, it becomes a sound theory. After all some PC cd-Roms consistently can't read some burned data cdr's while others can on similarly configured PC's.

In theory as PS2daddy states in another post on how the neo 2.2 works, the laser pickup adjusts at some point during the swap method in preparation for burn media. And If as I theorized that this Mac is providing weak burns then perhaps when the laser pickup adjusts during the swap in preparation for this media it's over or under compensating. Thus swapping won't work. It seems that with the knife method there is an interruption forced manually on the unit and thus not dependant upon the PS2 laser pickup and a mod chip to adjust the frequncy in preparation for the burned media. Therefore, it just continues after manually being opened and closed again to read at the same unchanged frequency. Which could explain why only this method works for him.

This would cause me lots of frustration as well. I still feel it's a really simple fix that's right in front of you.

Perhaps it is the sissy burner. Maybe a bad data cable. Maybe too many devices daisy chained or just a device that wants to be isolated. Maybe the cable is running too close to other cables and experiencing some crosstalk or digital feedback. Possibly the current draw on his power outlet is not leaving enough to provide enough power to all his devices.

Trying a different burner other than the Iomega Predator would answer some of these.

If another burner works then it is the sissy burner.

But if his PS2 just likes to be stabbed and poked to get it going...Oh well.

Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:40 AM

OK

I DISCONNECTED MY USB HUB WITH MY PRINER/SCANNER ETC. USED A SHORT USB CABLE AND STILL NO JOY.

MAYBE IT IS THE CDRW(PREDATOR).

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANY SUCCES WITH IT?(ON PS2)

KEEP THEN IDEAS COMING AS I FEEL WE ARE GETTING CLOSER.

DANMAN THIS KINDA LOOKS A LOT LIKE U
Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by MacDude [/i]
[B]OK

I DISCONNECTED MY USB HUB WITH MY PRINER/SCANNER ETC. USED A SHORT USB CABLE AND STILL NO JOY.

MAYBE IT IS THE CDRW(PREDATOR).

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANY SUCCES WITH IT?(ON PS2)

KEEP THEN IDEAS COMING AS I FEEL WE ARE GETTING CLOSER.

DANMAN THIS KINDA LOOKS A LOT LIKE U [/B]
MacDude, I thought in error that you had a firewire drive all this time. I have to agree with DanMan. The burner in combination with the USB on your mac is the issue. Many newer PC's now use a higher transfer rate on their USB ports since they're on the USB 2.0 standard....they're faster and carry more bandwidth. That alone would explain a weaker burn on your Mac with just about any CD burner over USB connections.

I've seen Iomega writers in firewire cases that don't have these problems.

If DanMan's burns work and your's don't then I'd say with certainty that it's the fact that perhaps DanMan's system is using the USB 2.0 standard and with the increased bandwidth he's achieving better quality burns.

Not to say that your burner doesn't work. It obviuosly does an adequate enough job if you can read the data on your Mac. It's just not adequate enough for the PS2's laser after it adjusts using the mod swap over the knife method.

I recommend a firewire or a scsi burner if you can't borrow another USB burner that works. Or spring for a pioneer AO3 and replace your internal drive. Unless you have a cube or iMac, then firewire's your only choice.

You might want to speak to
Quote:
[B]PS24Life[/B]
about his initial trials with his Firewire burner. Could save you lots of time and finally get your investment back out of that mod chip.

Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Re: Backups for Modded PS One won't work on Modded PS2????

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ps2daddy [/i]
[B]Certain brands of media work better than others for the PS2 I use verbatim (the green bottom ones) memorex in a pinch and PNY black CDs and they all work pretty good with my version 4 laser but I have noticed on other peoples PS2s that I have modded do that the same thing with my disks that you described.........
[/B]
Got a fix for all those burns that the PS2 doesn't detect as correct media and/or those that it detects as audio CD's begginning on track 2. Trial and error found this fix, but it works like a charm. Now I don't have to keep trying to re-burn all those games. Although It helped on some of them. Here's what to do for the ones that still won't work.

You use the 2nd disc out of the GS2 package. Yup the complimentary one for PSX game codes. Boot that sucker up.

then do as follows...

1. Select start game
2. Select without codes
3. eject the GS2 disc 2 and replace with the PSX backup
4. push tray in or eject then press X

Game will start

If the screen goes blank and there is nothing I believe it's either the media or a weak burn, if so then try the following...

1. Insert GS2 disc 2 and Power unit off for 5 seconds
2. Press reset to power PS2 up and keep the reset button pressed
3. Get to the PSX codes menu and select start game while still holding in reset.
4. Select without codes while still holding in reset.
5. When the "insert PSX game and press X to continue" screen comes up RELEASE reset button.
6. Tray ejects for about 6 seconds before going back in...swap the GS2 disc 2 with PSX backup before tray goes in and press X before it starts to go back in.

Game will start

An alternate method Double swap for a difficult PSX Backup. Try the following....

1. Insert GS2 disc 2 and Power unit off for 5 seconds
2. Press reset to power PS2 up and keep the button pressed
3. Get to the PSX codes menu and select start game while still holding in reset.
4. Press eject and swap GS2 Disc 2 for a PSX original while still holding in reset.
5. Select without codes while still holding in reset.
6. When the "insert PSX game screen and press X to continue" comes up RELEASE reset button.
7. Tray ejects for about 6 seconds before going back in...swap the PSX Original with PSX backup before tray goes in and press X before it starts to go back in.

Yes these are variations of the PS2 backup boot methods, but believe me...they work. The Import swap method also proves successful for some of the difficult to boot PSX backups, but not all. That method is as follows...

1.Insert a PSX original game and power PS2 off for about 5 seconds
2. Power unit on to begin booting PSX original
3. Right before the Playstation Splash screen comes up press eject and insert the PSX backup then press eject to close tray.

Game might boot.

Again These methods were tested on both my PS2's and a friends.

They do work. If one method isn't working for you try one of the others mentioned. One of them will. I've seen just about every situation where my old PSX backups would not boot by conventional modded PS2 instructions and all the symptoms are as follows.

1. Pink screen comes up stating to please insert a Playstation Disc
2. PS2 boots and only detects the Backup as audio starting on track 2.
3. The Playstation Splash screen apears and the PS2 hangs/ freezes.

Good luck all who need it and please update me as to whether these instructions helped any of you. Thanks in advance.