CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 04, 2002, 07:37 PM
Veteran

Exclamation !!!i Need Help Getting My Adsl Modem Working!!!

sponsored links

I'v been trying for so long to get this working and of course tec support are usless. Im getting realy P1ssed off by now and upset. so if you can please help

The usb light on my Adsl usb modem flashes red on and off.
I have recently formatted and and currently using win98.
I install the drivers (version 1.4) and reset my pc with the modem not connected.
I then i plug in the usb modem. Windows detects it and looks for new hardware and finds this driver "C:\windows\inf\usb.ini"(i think) it installs it and then the usb light starts to flash.
The cursor on my screen changes to and egg timer when the led turns red and goes back to normal when its off.
I goto system properties and i can see the modem listed but with a "!" over it after a few seconds it disapears.

When i tryed to install the modem using windows XP i get the same problem but insstead of windows finding drivers when it find new hadware it resets its self (or sometimes gies me a screen simular to the old blue screen in windows 98(before it resets its self)) iv tryed uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but i keep getting the same problem.

What can I do? I dont think i can take it anymore and im just getting even new drivers right now(1.6)

thanks
Jamie
Old Jun 05, 2002, 03:19 AM

Try installing driver before you connect the modem
Old Jun 05, 2002, 03:19 AM
Veteran

Unistall the drivers, then start again.

Install the software, plugging in the USB modem [I]before[/I] you select restart the machine. That should work in Win 98. I had the same problem and was tearing my hair out, but when I phoned Openworld, they said to do this. Bit odd how it makes so much difference, but it worked for me!
Old Jun 05, 2002, 03:20 AM

sorry just read your mess again.....scrub modem............. has your service been activated
Old Jun 05, 2002, 04:06 AM
Veteran

^^^^^^^
Old Jun 05, 2002, 04:18 AM
Veteran

If you have any other USB devices connected disconnect them and try again.

Roger