CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 05, 2002, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Default what are the benifits of using virtual memory?

sponsored links

When i let windows manage my virtual memory it barely ever uses virtual memory.
I usually only have about 4mb of memory left in windows out of the 80mb i have.
What if i choose to manage my own virtual memory and select to use a minimum of 100mb of virtual memory? Would i then have 80mb of REAL memory left for other programs to run faster?
Can anyone explain the benifits of using virtual memory?
Thanks alot
Noam
Old Jun 05, 2002, 06:30 PM
Veteran

All virtual memory does is use spare disk space as a sort of slower memory. This lets you load processes which are larger than the amount of memory you have (i.e. you wouldnt be able to run a 70MB program with only 64MB of RAM unless you use virtual memory).

Virtual memory should be used to help your pc run more smoothly under a heavy load. Simply saying use 500MB of virtual memory wont help because virtual memory is stored on your hard disk which miles slower than REAL memory. The amount of time spent 'swaping' info between virtual memory and real memory would make it not worth while.

So just let windows manage it for you, unless you really know what your doing.

HTH