CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 07, 2002, 12:23 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Thank you for making this. All these newbie posts are driving me crazy!
Here is a modchip FAQ I wrote I while back, it may not be 100% up to date, but it will answer a lot of questions.

~~PS2 MODCHIP FAQ~~

I got tired of seeing post like "What's the difference between these two mods". So I decided to write this hoping it would stop these kinds of posts.

NEO1 - Very early PS2 modchip for the JAP console. NEO1 was designed for PSX backups on a PS2.

NEO2 - PS2 modchip designed for PS2 backups to be played with a swap with GS2/AR2 and PSX backups without a swap. This mod requires 9 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

NEO2.2 - NEO2.2 is an updated version of NEO2, it allows more time for EA boot and some say is more effective. This mod requires 9 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

STARCHIP - Same features as Neo2.2. This mod requires 8 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

NEOKEY - The first external mod for PS2. The NEOKey still requires soldering to the PS2's mainboard, only two points though. The NeoKey requires one swap to be performed with a GS2/AR2 for PS2 backups, no swap for PSX backups. The NeoKey does not support the EA swap. The NEOKey also is known as the USBMod and SBox. This mod requires 1 wire (2 points) to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

NEO3/BOOTMASTER3 - The Neo3 was first designed by NeoTech, then later dropped, picked up by ChannelTech, who changed the name from Neo3 to Bootmaster3. The BM3 is a Neo2 chip with DVD features like MuilRegion, MacroOff, etc. This mod requires 17 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

ORIGA1.X - The best swap mod out on the market. The Origa will boot any PS2 backup with one swap using AR2/GS2, DVDR or CDR. The Origa will also boot IMPORT ORIGINALS with no swap. This mod requires 17 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

ORIGA2 - This was the chip was going to be very good, no swap everything, then it was cancelled

NOVACHIP - Origa1.0 clone with less wires. This mod requires 14 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

NEO2.5/XKEY - Swap based mod with same features as Neo2.2 and less wires to install. You have to hold reset for everygame you play. Only available for V4 and V5 PS2s. This mod requires 5 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

NEO2.6 - Same as Neo2.5, but automatically chooses the GS2/AR2 selections. This mod requires 6 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

NEO4 - The first noswap CDR mod out. The Neo4 will boot PS2 CDR with no swap. PS2 DVDRs still require one swap, which does NOT require a GS2/AR2. The Neo4 can be used in combination with the Origa for no-swap everything. This mod requires 44 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

NEO4.1 - Updated verion of Neo4. The Neo4.1 supports more consoles, has the latest DVD drivers and faster boot than the Neo4, that is the only differences. This mod requires 44 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

NEOSTAR - Neo4 clone

MESSIAH - As of right now this is the chip to have. The Messiah is no swap for everything! Simply a great chip! This mod requires 27 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

RMOD - The mod that isnt a mod. The RMod imitates the Knife Trick and make it unable to play all games, that is why I call it a mod that isn't a mod. This is also the first "Mod" that does not require soldering. This mod requires 0 wires to be soldered to the motherboard for 100% functionality.

If I have made any mistakes or left anything out please let me know. [email]upur0@hotmail.com[/email]

*NOTE* This FAQ is mainly designed for USA mods, because I know a lot more about USA mods than any other region of mods. But you CAN use this FAQ for PAL PS2s. Just the mods available in the USA are mainly the ones you will find here.
This FAQ is for the major mods. IE I am not going specify the difference between the Origa1 and Origa1.1 for two reasons, there is just an Origa1 in the USA and these mods are great mods, don't get me wrong, there is just not enough differences. But i did do the Neo2 and Neo2.2 difference, the reason is because the Neo2.2 is such a popular upgrade I just had to add it. Because I have seen TONS and TONS of posts on "The difference between Neo2 and Neo2.2", and hopefully this will eliminate some of those posts. And I also did the difference between Neo2.5 and Neo2.6 because the "autochoose" is such an interesting feature I just had to add it.
But look out I may put some updates and PAL only mods in here soon when I get time to study up on them and type it out.

~~upur0~~
Old Jun 07, 2002, 05:38 PM
Veteran

Here is a great up to date mod chip comparsion chart:
***********.consolesource.com/playstation2/comparison.htm

Shows what boots what & how.

upur0, don't forget the Neokey plugs into the USB port, top or bottom depending on what a person soldered for, the top of bottom port.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 12:21 AM
Veteran

And here's the 'knife trick' along with alot of other boot methods and info...

********cousinfizz.4mg.com

A very good guide to replacing and adjusting a laser... (Adobe Reader required.)

********mailhost.contiexpedan.be/Playstat.nsf/laser.pdf

Last edited by CousinFizz; Oct 20, 2003 at 12:53 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 12:44 PM
Veteran

Just thought Id put this little info in

GameShark 2 v.1.93-2.0 TOC = 71:59:74

And heres a good site with gme TOCs ***********.geocities.com/assminstrl/ps2listTOC.html

if the webmaster of the site i linked to does not want his link here e-mail me

Last edited by kyle5077; Jun 11, 2002 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:50 PM

hey kyle5077, thanks for posting the link--I actually just came in to do the same! Feel free to share it anywhere--just don't steal it! hahahah.

I have soooo much updating to do when I have time since all of the newest games are still missing but for those who have been asking via email:

1) MOH: Frontline is NOT R-Mod Compatable
2) Aggressive Inline is NOT R-Mod Compatable
3) Way of the Samurai IS R-Mod Compatable

More to come on the page next week. Will get started on some DVD TOCs soon as well

Thanks!
NeoCage
Old Jun 18, 2002, 09:39 AM
Veteran

List of what PS2 games are cds or dvds & whats out & info files on 800+ (I didn't count them)
games: ps2-news.org

Best DVD drive to write games with: Pioneer A03 or A04 Avoid the HP 100i, its only dvdrw.