CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 07, 2002, 05:45 PM

Question Burning at lower speeds - Better for DC?

sponsored links

Does burning DC games at lower speeds like 2X or 1X make it any easier for the DC laser while it's reading the CD? And would burning at higher speeds make the DC laser work harder?
Old Jun 07, 2002, 06:50 PM
Veteran

AS far as I understand it and according to my experience. Burning slower just increases your changes of having a disk that works.

Some games won't work for me if I burn higher than 4X -- most do though.

Some games that are hard on the laser are ones where the files are in different places on the disk (like supposedly Vampire Chronicles) also some older games need to have dummy files so it puts the data on the outside rim of the disk which makes it easier for the laser to get to.

Really, it's not your fault if the game causes the laser to have to read a lot. It's whoever ripped the game in the first place.
Old Jun 07, 2002, 07:51 PM

I've always burned at max speed. I currently have a TDK 12x and it has never failed me at 12x. If you have a decent burner and it has burn proof or something similar then burn at max. If you have a cheap or older burner you can try max speed and if it starts to mess up just back it down until it works. CD's are cheap, I would rather waste a few discs testing speeds than waiting 40 minutes for a disc to burn at 2x.

[img]***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/imgs/jams.gif[/img]
Old Jun 07, 2002, 07:57 PM
Veteran

I have burned up to 24X on my burner for DC games. I use TDK media, and it works every time
Old Jun 09, 2002, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Burning at lower speeds - Better for DC?

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by DreamWeb7 [/i]
[B]Does burning DC games at lower speeds like 2X or 1X make it any easier for the DC laser while it's reading the CD? And would burning at higher speeds make the DC laser work harder? [/B]
Speed has no effect m8 - it's how the game works originally. I always use D****Juggler and a Yammy at 6x with 100% sucess!
Old Jun 09, 2002, 11:00 PM
Veteran

Speed doesn't matter. I usually burn at 32x and don't have any problems.