CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 13, 2002, 06:40 AM

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by cj83369 [/i]
[B]I tried as suggested. I cant' get past C:\Documents and Settings\NAME\ as Local Settings is a hidden folder & is not displayed in DOS. Any more ideas ? Formatting is not an option! Thanks again Kasimir [/B]
From the DOS prompt use the command (you'll have to type it in) attrib -h n (where n = the folder or file name). Keep going you'll do it.

Last edited by kasimir the great; Jun 13, 2002 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 07:54 AM

Right then, here's another method. Use Windows explorer to navigate to the offending folder/directory - in the right hand window pane right click and chose properties, uncheck everything (hidden, archive etc). Now start the computer in DOS mode. Use the DOS DELTREE command, and make sure to indicate the full path. The folder will be removed. Note that DOS does not recognize file names longer than 8 characters, so "Program Files" must be shortened to "progra~1". Thus, Deltree C:\progra~1\whatever....

The Deltree file is located in the Windows\Command folder, so you need to go to that directory (folder). In DOS type CD C:\Windows\Command. To get instructions, type: Deltree /?. The "/?" after the DOS command is very useful in telling you about the various capabilities (switches) of a DOS command. If you wanted to remove a folder named Junk with various subfolders, you could type Deltree C:\Junk. The folder and everything in it will be gone.

You must be able to do it now.

God Bless DOS!!
Old Jun 13, 2002, 01:51 PM

This is becoming a saga! I created a start up disc so I can access DOS. However, when at the A: prompt, there is no C: drive or any other drive! I am using NTFS so I'm not sure if DOS works 100% using it. The boot disc was created in Windows XP though..Is there a DOS utility I could download which would work? Thanks once again.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 02:18 PM

Now you tell me!! NTFS - arghh. DOS can't read NTFS. I'll have a think and I'll be back.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 03:07 PM

I dare to presume you're using XP. Try booting to safe mode and deleting the directory.

There is a utility called Hyena - one of it's many features is to perform routine disk and file operations, such as moving, deleting, and copying files and directories. I'm a 98se man, not a XP debugger for Bill Gates. Hyena is available from www.systemtools.com fully functional for 30 days.

Have a go Joe.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 02:46 AM

OK..I tried safe mode & Hyena 4.2 and still cannot delete this folder. The message I get is The File or directory is corrupt and unreadable....I don't think this one is going to get solved mate !! Is there a better utility than Win XP Disc Scan/Surface scan which can detect it & fix it...I've tried all the ones in XP....Thanks