CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:22 AM

Default bios upgrade [; ; win98SE]

sponsored links

Can anyone help me to upgrade the bios on my machine. I've d'loaded the upgrade (revision q-10) etc. from the board manufacturer's site and followed their instructions exactly. All I get is an error message stating that a system file can't be found. Although the window correctly identifies the upgrade file, it names the file to copy to as 'revision.bin'. This doesn't sound right to me, and I also can't find the version number of the existing bios, although I'm pretty sure it's version 6 (revision q-6?).

I'm running a Soltek kv75+ mobo under win 98se with a 600 Duron and 384Mb of PC133 ram.

Any help appreciated as the upgrade should cure an annoying tendency for the system to fall over on boot-up.

btw. the soltek site and the original manual are written in pigeon english, so there may be an error in the instructions.

Old Jun 10, 2002, 11:57 AM
Veteran

You might want to read the FAQ section at ***********.wimsbios.com/

Another page with some info are ***********.abios.com/

Also, remember that this needs to be done from pure DOS. You do not want ANY cdrom drivers, memory managers, etc, on that disk.
I use the "Only copy system files" option when formatting a diskette, then copy the new BIOS and the flash program onto that diskette, and restart your machine.
Then go to a:, and type in the correct command line.

Sorry if this is the method you have been trying!