CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 13, 2002, 01:30 PM

sponsored links

@ps2daddy - Oh.... I did not know that the ISO images are specific to the format. I had read somewhere on this board that the Xbox doesn't do size checks so you could burn a ripped games onto a DVD even though it would fit on a CD. The point being that the drive in the Xbox does not read CD or CDRWs very well at all... So what you are saying is that if a release group rips a game down to fit on a CD, then the ISO image of that rip WILL NOT WORK on a DVD becasue the ISO image is MEDIA SPECIFIC?... Again, great (if not disheartening) info. If you were in Mass., I'd buy you a beer!
Old Jun 13, 2002, 01:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by bertsche [/i]
[B]Got to check these images - im really curious if they will work...
By the way, do you also know how to convert a game, split into 3 *.gi files so that they will work on Toast?
(also see my post at ***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119993)
Thanks for the help!
Greetings
Bert [/B]
Dont know how to recombine the images without having the primo program and using that on a PC.

The only thing I can think of is to get someone on a pc to burn them for you. Just download the files and put them on separate cd's in the iso 9660 format and load them on a PC and have someone with primo to burn it for you.

Unless you can find a way in Virtual PC 5 that it will recognize your superdrive as a dvd writer that is about it.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by sagito [/i]
[B]@ps2daddy - Oh.... I did not know that the ISO images are specific to the format. I had read somewhere on this board that the Xbox doesn't do size checks so you could burn a ripped games onto a DVD even though it would fit on a CD. The point being that the drive in the Xbox does not read CD or CDRWs very well at all... So what you are saying is that if a release group rips a game down to fit on a CD, then the ISO image of that rip WILL NOT WORK on a DVD becasue the ISO image is MEDIA SPECIFIC?... Again, great (if not disheartening) info. If you were in Mass., I'd buy you a beer! [/B]
As far as I know for games if you tried to burn a cd image on a DVD it will not work. (But I havent used a $5 DVD-R just to test that theory out either)

I have heard of people doing movies where they put mpeg 2 onto cd's that work in DVD players but they only get about 15min of film that way.
I think that this is way different for games though
Old Jun 13, 2002, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by bertsche [/i]
[B]Got to check these images - im really curious if they will work...
By the way, do you also know how to convert a game, split into 3 *.gi files so that they will work on Toast?
(also see my post at ***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119993)
Thanks for the help!
Greetings
Bert [/B]
Hey Bert give me an e-mail @ [email]ps2daddy@hotmail.com[/email]
Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:08 AM

@ps2daddy - I asked around in the Xbox backup forum and a couple people seem to think that you CAN burn a ISO - ripped down from a DVD to fit on a CD - to a DVD. I am going to get a pack of DVDs and give it a try! :-) In Toast 5, if you select the DISK IMAGE option from the dropdown menu, can you insert either a CD or DVD in the drive or is that functionality for CD or CDRW only?... In case you know... ;-)
Old Jun 14, 2002, 02:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by sagito [/i]
[B]@ps2daddy - I asked around in the Xbox backup forum and a couple people seem to think that you CAN burn a ISO - ripped down from a DVD to fit on a CD - to a DVD. I am going to get a pack of DVDs and give it a try! :-) In Toast 5, if you select the DISK IMAGE option from the dropdown menu, can you insert either a CD or DVD in the drive or is that functionality for CD or CDRW only?... In case you know... ;-) [/B]
Yup you can select an image for a DVD-R that will work.

Let us know what happens I am not too confident that it will work but I say go for it man.

The big question is will the x-box recognize a the cd image on dvd-r media?