CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 26, 2002, 05:04 PM

sponsored links

thanks for confirming this greenhead90... I jsut ordered one of the pioneer drives and it will be here in about 3 days. So, I'll just have to make a little slot to fit the IDE cable through. Shouldn't be too hard... thanks for confirming this
Old Jun 26, 2002, 05:45 PM
Veteran

It's all good, but no way I'll leave my xbox open to be able to play cd-rs.! Any chance u guys know of a dvd drive that will actually fit in xbox so the top doesnt have to be open?
Old Jun 26, 2002, 11:56 PM
Veteran

I was beginning to wonder how it would work w/o an original game, thanks for confirming.

I figure it won't be too hard to dremel a little slot on top of the Xbox for the IDE cable and power cable to fit through, like you guys said, there's no way I'm leaving the top off of my box all the time. Now just to find a cheap Xbox with a messed up laser in it.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:06 AM

The Liteon dvd is the fastest brand . I reccomend getting it here ***********.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=27-131-103 its black to match xbox color, they also have the white color one for a few dollars cheaper but i bought one of each and the black one seems to perform a bit better in benchmarks and I think the black color is better , get firmware update gh5k here to imporve performance ***********.jlms.com.tw/webfw/LTD-163/USER/D163GH5K.zip . I do still have my xbox top cover on ! The ide cable and power cable to the pc dvd drive can go out the back of the xbox casing , dont be afraid to shut the casing on the wires, i was able to put all my systems screws back in too .

Also I forgot to mention , the xbox-scene tutorial says that you need an original retail xbox game , this is not true. I have an enigmah installed and use a CD-r backup of Smashing Drive as the "boot" disk in the xbox system drive . Here is the way you play a game :
-Leave a backup of a game in your xbox's original drive at all times , any backup cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-r, dvd-rw, dvd+r, dvd+rw that boots ok in that drive with your modchip should be fine
-Have your system turned off
-Press the eject button on your xbox , this will turn the system on automatically eject the xbox drive - in there you should see your working backup disc that you leave in that drive at all times
-Press eject on the pc dvd-rom drive to open it and put a backup game on the tray but dont close it yet
-close the xbox drive with yout "boot" disc in it
-close the pc dvd drive with the backup you want to play in it .
-the game should now boot up and load much faster than it would have if it were runnign from the xbox drive.

- You have to do all them steps in the right order and may have to do it quickly enough or else you will get an error screen saying your xbox is damaged, if you get this just turn it off and try again.

I have the riot release of tony hawk 3 , with just using the xbox drive by itself the game would always freeze when loading to the skate shop , however it works now through the pc dvd rom drive .

Last edited by n64romsusa; Jun 29, 2002 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 06:47 PM
Veteran

Not all dvd drives read cdrs. read the specs on them. I know, I bought a cheap one that says it only reads dvds.

Also, why not get a external HD or cdrom enclosure, these have their own power supply. Hmm?
Old Jun 30, 2002, 09:26 AM
Veteran

Wait a minute, if the data cable isn't connected then there is no way for the xbox to know what kind of disk you put in, so in theory, a blank disk should work. How does it send a signal to the dvd drive to open if the data cable isn't connected? Hmmm?