CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:27 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Yow.

That must've cost you almost as much as a baseline G4, nan!

[b]Merc's (Primary, Gaming) System[/b]

Factory unlocked Athlon 1.33 @ 1.66 (10 x 166)
Shuttle AK31 rev3.1
1024MB Crucial PC2700 DDR
120GB Western Digital 8MB cache [i]Just put this in![/i]
Mitsumi CR4804TE [i]still chugging along[/i]
Mitsumi CR4809TE [i]The bigger brother to the 4804[/i]
MSI geForce4 Ti4200
Monitor(s) - Two Viewsonic 17"s ... I got a matching one
Speakers ... Kenwood KV-694 driving two custom sets of Boston Acoustics - pounding some ground

- M4H

Last edited by MercenaryForHire; Aug 07, 2002 at 04:03 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 08:51 PM

Dude thats a whole lotta turd Macs are getting more games every day eg warcraft3 which came out the same time as pc version, the new g4's can support 2 monitors without extra hardware, the processors on macs do more processes per clock cycle, osx make all ye friends smile, art students or not, just about anything u want do do on a pc can be done on a mac, maybe even better, and i love ye despite being a mac user, lol, sorry had 2 reply hehe
Old Jul 24, 2002, 11:09 PM
Veteran

Dual monitor support has nothing to do with the G4 ... my P120 has two PCI cards in it and has dual monitor support.

OSX? Bleah. When the tech in the shop minimized an app I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - it looks [b]ridiculous[/b]. And more processes per cycle - sure, but fewer cycles, let's not get into an architecture war (at least not in this thread, post that in the Blatant Flames Off Topic forum )

It's the "just about" everything that bugs me ... if I had a Mac I could [b]almost[/b] do as much as my PC. Almost. And the almost bugs me.

The one piece of Apple hardware that I love? Those Cinema displays. Every time I walk by the university store with the 23" HD Cinema, I just about sploodge. Sooooooo sexy.

And all it's missing is an ADC-to-DVI adaptor.

- M4H
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:19 AM

Speaking of architecture, when are the PeeCs going to improve it? I thought that 32 bit was cutting edge technology back in the early to mid 90s. Nearly ten years later, the PeeCs are still using it. If someone would step up to the plate and deliver 128 bit processing, they just might be able to smoke the hell out of the current Macs in all areas (not just gaming). We won't see 128 bit on a PeeC for many years to come. Why, you ask. They are about to have 64 bit processing very soon. I have no clue how soon that is, but current A+ courses make mention of the new breed of PeeCs that are to come. Sixty-four bit will be the next step. Maybe it's a baby step, but it's the next one.

What do looks have to do with the power of an OS? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the power of an OS had to do with what it could do, and how efficiently it did the job. Where do looks come into the formula? Talk to anyone who works on a Mac network using OS X, and ask them how much they crash on a daily basis. Almost never! Talk to someone who works for a company that uses a Windoze network and ask the same question. Almost daily! Sometimes many times a day. Unless, of course, they have a brilliant network administrator that knows all the little problems with Windoze and how to tweek it just right. Even in that situation, they crash entirely TOO MUCH! Why do you think some networks are now running with Linux servers. Windoze 2000 and NT can't do the job as effectively and securely.

The only reason that I now own a Mac is because I worked for a huge online provider as a consultant two years ago. I was pulling my hair out (what little I have!) because of the lockups every day on our Pentium IIIs. Sometimes many times in a day. Blue screen of death. Again. And again. And again!! After fooling with my girlfriends OLD Mac, I began to see the light of day. A computer that didn't make things complicated, and it ran smoothly. The damned thing is seven years old now, and still runs like a dream even though it's slow as hell and it has an outdated OS. The new OSes get much better as time goes on.

I'm a fan of all computers, but my preference is the Mac. Until someone makes a computer that crashes less, I'll never switch. Even if the newer breeds of PeeCs become faster at some point. Speed is nothing without stability. Stability is EVERYTHING! I may not have the gaming advantages of the PeeC users, but that's why I have a Playstation.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:59 AM
Veteran

Alright, I am a PC user, always have been, probably always will be.

But that doesn't mean that I hate Mac's or that I like windows.

A friend of mine has had Macs since well back into the 80's and he still has an old mac classic (i think thats what they are called I dunno) and it still works ok for stuff like word processing. I personally think Macs look cool and there is no question about their stability.

That being said, I have used PC's all my life, and I think that most people that use PC's are afraid of Mac's cause they don't have Bill Gates tellin them what to do all the time. I think most of them don't like Mac's cause they are foreign and strange. If people would try them out I am sure they wouldn't be so negative towards Macs.

I truly hate Windows. Truly! I have Win 98 on one of my computers and I must say it crashes at least 2-3 times if I leave it on for a whole day, and after a few hours the computer starts running like crap. However, much can be said for the stability of the newer MS OS's I have used 2000 and XP extensively, and they are much more stable for my personal use. The fact remeains however that Linux is my favourite OS on a PC. The only problem for a guy like me is the lack of compatability with windows applications.

In the server environment, Linux blows away windows. A proffessor of mine at my University is the president of IT at one of the local ISP's. He says their windows servers have to be rebooted like a couple times a week (at least), while the linux systems never get rebooted except like once a year. This goes to show that windows can't produce the kinda reliability you need for the "5 9's uptime" (99.999%)

I hope this rambling makes sense, I just wanted to express my feelings on the subject, and I hope this doesn't sound to dumb (thinking doesn't work so great this early in the morning)
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:44 PM

Hey nan

Bet i still keeps crashing all the time like ALL pc's?