CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 25, 2002, 10:27 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by PC Support Etc [/i]
[B]Does this "Toast" software come with Macs or do I have to purchase it separately? Also, when I create an image, will it be the size of the entire CD (i.e 650megs) or just the size of all the files?

Thanks,

Rich [/B]
You have to buy it

It is the program used to create CD's

It is the whole CD just as if you stuck the disk in just like using norton ghost on a pc

But

The disk copy program does come with your mac it should be in your utilities folder that is in your applications folder and it does the same thing

you click on the disk copy program and drag the disk in the window and it asks you where you want it to save and thats about it then you dont need the disk inside anymore

Hope that helps

Last edited by ps2daddy; Jun 25, 2002 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2002, 03:51 PM

Disk Copy is also available free from www.apple.com this is pretty easy to use for your application, and it's free.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 01:25 PM

Disk Copy also has a great perk that comes with it. It will calculate a checksum for the images you make. Every time you open the image, it will verify the image against the checksum to see if there are any corrupt files. You can also skip this step if you would like to.

If you want to guard against the files being accidentally modified, be sure to select "Read-Only" from the Format drop-down menu. You can also make it "Read/Write" if you come across interactive software that needs to be imaged.

L~

Old Jun 26, 2002, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the advice all. I really appreciate it. I think I was hoping for a less storage intensive solution. For all its foibles, Windows will allow me to do a file copy of the CD's contents to a folder, thus only copying, say, 30 megs of files. I can then modify an ini file or registry setting that tells the game where to look for the bulk of its files (the windows folder and not the CD). Using 30 megs of space is a whole lot less than 650 megs.

Does anyone know if Mac games have such ini files or registry settings and where I might find them?

Thanks,

Rich
Old Jun 27, 2002, 03:25 AM

If you use Disk Copy to image the disk to a hard drive, it will not use the entire 650 MB of space (or 700, depending on the original disk size). It will only need enough space to copy the data, and it will omit all of the free space. You can also use the "Read-Only Compressed" option to make it smaller than normal. The disks that I have imaged have always varied in size, depending on how much data was on them. Some have been quite small once they are finished.

If you are able to strip unwanted files to save space, use the "Read/Write" option when making the image. This will allow you to open the completed image, and then delete anything that is not necessary to run the game. This should be much easier than doing the equivalent of modifying ini and registry files as you have been doing in Windows. Just drag to the trash, and then empty it. It won't affect the game as long as it doesn't use these trashed files to run.

It sounds like you had to modify those ini and registry files on each Windows workstation that you installed the game on. If you strip down the contents of the Mac image once, you can then copy the completed image to any other Mac without having to do anything special to each computer. It should save you a lot of time in the long run.

L~

Last edited by MacInAction; Jun 27, 2002 at 03:37 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 01:23 PM

You can also on a Read/Write Image, strip out the PC version of the software on the disk to make it smaller (I did this with Myth2).