CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 26, 2002, 10:04 PM
Veteran

Default Gamecube's Dvd drive idea

sponsored links

i was just wondering bout something, i been hearing that the reason gamecube isnt able to boot backups is because it is read backwards and is read from outside to the inner side of the disc.

Now my idea is, cant we take out the DVD rom drive and replace it with a computer dvd rom drive instead (kinda like how they did it to the xbox) and then maybe itll read the game the normal way and that we can finally have the game read normally and not the backwards thing.

This is just and idea, what do you all think?
Old Jun 27, 2002, 02:12 PM

doesnt the dreamcast read from the outter edge inwards.... isnt that the reason behind "Dummy files" on dc games, I dont know if thats the reason you can't back up games for gamecube.. but the dvd drive idea isn't a bad one.. try it out let us know :P hehe, idont have a gamecube or a dvd drive, otherwise i would
Old Jun 27, 2002, 02:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by MaK10 [/i]
[B]doesnt the dreamcast read from the outter edge inwards.... isnt that the reason behind "Dummy files" on dc games, I dont know if thats the reason you can't back up games for gamecube.. but the dvd drive idea isn't a bad one.. try it out let us know :P hehe, idont have a gamecube or a dvd drive, otherwise i would [/B]
The reason DC needed Dummies is becuase the GDROM's high density area was on the outer side of the disc. If the data was on the inside of the cd, it could not be read fast enough.

As for the GC, if it truly did read backwards, you would have to somehow burn the cd's backward. Or else the GC could not read the DVD's, cause all the files would be backward, and the DVD would be spinning the wrong way!!
Old Jun 27, 2002, 10:26 PM
Veteran

no you dont get it, if we replace their DVD rom drive, it would have to read the correct way. So if we can replace it then somehow copy the discs onto lets say mini DVD, it would read it in the correct way by spinning forward and from inside to outside.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 07:42 PM

yah but then it would only be able to play back ups...regular gc games wouldnt play no more because it would read them backwards because u switched the drives...im not saying that only being able to play backups is a Bad thing..it just limits you to the amount o fgames you will be able to play...because u can only play backups.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 08:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by dumpweed [/i]
[B]yah but then it would only be able to play back ups...regular gc games wouldnt play no more because it would read them backwards because u switched the drives...im not saying that only being able to play backups is a Bad thing..it just limits you to the amount o fgames you will be able to play...because u can only play backups. [/B]
Exactly