CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 05, 2002, 11:57 PM

Question Help Formatting Data CD-R

sponsored links

I have a problem trying to format cdr on my computer. I have a new Sony laptop and I've used Easy CD Creator but it do not recognize my DVD-CD drive. When I talked to them(Roxio) they said that my drive is too new and is not supported by Easy CD Creator. I want to format a cdr so I can store data on it but I don't know of any software. If someone could help me and tell me a good software where I can format a cdr I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 10:06 PM
Veteran

You cant format cd-r's. You can only format cd-rw's. CDRWin 3.8 allows you to format rw's. It allows quick erases and full erases (just as windows does with Floppy disks)

{Further Edited}

Just to explain a little more:

CD-R stands for CD-Recordable. Once you write the cd, thats it (or should I say - Finalize it). Just as with buffer under-runs, the cd is finalized. Buffer underruns are basically errors when your buffer (that send data to cd writer) doesnt send the info fast enough and the writer hangs, waiting on the information...

CD-RW stands for CD-ReWritable. On this type cd, you can record information, erase information, record information, and so on. Eventually the disk gets bad, but I've had 10 CD-RWs that Ive used for more than 2 years (no scratches). I believe there is a way to finalize a CD-Rw that will make it non-erasable, but Im not absolutey sure about that...

I hope this helps. Im sure Im a little off on my explanations, but you'll get the point.

Last edited by Sting4life_MB; Jul 08, 2002 at 10:10 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2002, 01:48 AM
Veteran

Actually Sting4life_MB, with Direct CD you can format a CDR for use with packet writting. I don't know of any other packet writing software though that supports CDR's... only CDRW's.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:51 PM

You cant format cdrs only cdrws
Old Jul 25, 2002, 06:36 PM
Veteran

Let me say this one more time. With Direct CD you can format a CDR for use with packet writing.

[i]"You can drag and drop files, rename files, delete files, and create new directories right on your CD- R disc."[/i]

***********.roxio.com/en/products/ecdc/dcdfeatures.jhtml

Perhaps you are all getting confused with "erase" and "format".
Old Jul 27, 2002, 01:57 AM
Veteran

Celtic is right on this one m8's you can format CDR's with DCD I've done it before it works.
mef1963 here are a couple things, first you could try Nero & InCD
www.ahead.com

Also you don't have to format a CDR/RW in order to store data, you can burn it as an ISO 9660 Data disc. It would be better to have a full disc ready and burn it in DAO mode, but you can multi session it.

Also I'll move this to the CDRW forum for you

[img]***********.cdrom-guide.com/ubb/4MoDeRaToRs/SiGnAtUrE_ImAgEs/hoss1.gif[/img]