CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 06, 2002, 11:41 PM

Default Having Problems With My New Computer

sponsored links

I got my new hp pavilion 7920 around the middle of June, and already I've been having problems. Just last week, I couldn't open anything, not my internet, nothing. I had to use my system recovery discs, and thank god I didn't lose my hours of video and audio I have on it. It gave me a choice on keeping my documents or starting it all over. Not that long ago, (just about an hour ago) I tried to open up my Adaptec CD creator to make a cd and it won't open. Probably tomorrow I know nothing will open for me, and I'll have to run the recovery discs, and again I will be afraid I lose my audio and video I have. Right now I have some I want to put on a cd, but like I said I can't open my Adaptec CD Creator.

Here's some things that may have caused the problem for me:

Whenever I get on the internet, popups and different things will open and my computer will get very busy, sometimes it will give me an error and have to shut down (the internet) My computer seems to be too busy a lot of the time when I just have one program I'm working on (Grokster)

A few times I've had to shut the computer down by pulling the plug becuase the computer would completely freeze up and won't be able to do anything.

Sometimes to start my computer I'll just start it, and may go do something else and forget about it, and when I come back, my monitor will have automatically shut down, just like it's supposed too, but won't come back on. Then I have know choice but to litteraly pull the plug to start it over again.

Something that may cause problems is when I'm online I'll have Grokster running and surf the net at the same time.

I also have lots of programs on the computer I don't use.

When I first started the computer, and it asked me for what internet connection I wanted, I had AOL, just to get on and download Netzero, and now that I have Netzero, I've never used AOL, I've actually deleted it (Don't have a screen name on AOL, used somebody elses) My computer used to annoyingly start AOL automatically (which took along time) and I think me deleting it caused some problem. Oh, Default, that's the word I've been looking for, I had AOL as my default internet connection but deleted AOL totally, and I think that may have caused problems, I also don't know how to set Netzero as my default internet connection.

I know my post was long, and kind of hard to read, but if anybody has any suggestions for me please let me know. I've really been doing my best to keep my computer working good. I even keep clear bags over the monitor and the actual computer <(don't know the name for it) to keep dust out (had problems with dust on PS2) Again please help me!

Last edited by son349; Jul 06, 2002 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2002, 11:58 PM
Veteran

Run a spyware detector such as ad aware www.lavasoft.com the pop up thingy when you begin an intewrnet session Is a symtom of spyware and spyware can hinder your computer. Im not sure but i think grockster could be your culprit.
Old Jul 07, 2002, 03:54 AM
Veteran

that spyware detector is spot on , i had 38 thingys running i never knewabout

:-)
Old Jul 07, 2002, 09:56 AM
Banned

mate it could be the stuff AOL installs on your computer but doesnt delete when you uninstall it! i have recently changed over to freeserve and they tell u how to delete EVERYTHING aol installs goto ***********.freeserve.co.uk and look for it as i have lost the link sorry
Old Jul 08, 2002, 01:28 AM

I haven't had to run the system restore discs yet, but have had to pull the plug to shut it down a few times.

I'm downloading something from the site uktrader gave me, I hope this helps..

Also does anybody know how to get my Adaptec CD Creator to start working again?