CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 07, 2002, 09:51 AM

sponsored links

The only legitimate backerupers of their software are companies, and they can afford CD, and if need be, DVD burners.
Old Jul 07, 2002, 10:54 AM
Veteran

prospeCt

And that doesn't even pertain to just selling backups, it goes as far as just owning them too. You must own the game or get rid of the backup altogether...

Some of the laws I've read over don't even allow you to back up software at all and then some others I've looked into allow you to have a backup and an extra copy in case your backup is ruined some how. So as you can see the laws are somewhat broad but like I say, if you have the original you'll be alright I'm sure. Just be aware because even if you don't know about this you can still be in trouble...
Old Jul 07, 2002, 11:21 AM
Veteran

Sure basic US trademark law states clearly that if you have a TM or a Copyright, you must protect it. So, if it looks like someone is infringing on it you must mail them a letter, this is called a 'cease & desist order'....which says basically, stop it or else. If they don't do this, they can lose their copyright or TM.....see?

I haven't got such a letter but I have read some of them. Basically they state someone is using a copyrighted logo or TM or picture on their website & they must take them off & then they go blah blah about how mod chips aren't legal in the US. It's usually a pretty straightforward letter that spooks the crap out of kids.

It does NOT matter whether you have a right to the copy or not that they can send this letter. They can sue you whether you have a right to it or not, but who has the $50k for a defense?

I don't think the people on the board really give a fig newton about copyright laws, if you noticed Cf.
Old Jul 07, 2002, 11:33 AM
Veteran

Yeah, I guess your right... take care.... CFizz
Old Jul 07, 2002, 11:52 AM
Veteran

cousinfizz who cares.... u get games for free as long as yu dont sell them and let the whole world know you have illegal backups u wont get caught... keep ur site up nothing will happen :/

Last edited by DarkFlare; Jul 07, 2002 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 03:05 AM
Veteran

I would have to say the developers care... I don't want to rain on anyones party but to just let anyone know who was wondering about the subject...

This is the first time I've really taken the time and looked into this myself. I've seen alot of questions about it but just brushed it off. I won't do that again... Take care all...

***********.mcdonald.com/articles/swp.htm

Last edited by CousinFizz; Jul 08, 2002 at 03:13 AM.