CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 07, 2002, 08:57 AM

Unhappy athlon 1800xp and DDR memory major problems

sponsored links

I recently built my first pc. (oh-oh)

I bought a Jetway 866AS motherboard.
An Athlon 1800XP processor.
1 Corsair 256MB DDR XMS2400 CAS2 (MY-001-CS) Memory Module. Don't know which numbers are appropriate there!
And all the other gear which makes a pc work!

I thought everything was great until a few days later after shutting down the pc, it would not boot up again.

The continuous beep was telling me (according to the manual) that no memory modules were present - which there was.

I had one Corsair 256mb DDR memory module installed. After trying several times I gave up trying to boot up. Then after about 15 minutes I tried again - the pc booted up no problem!

I found that if I restarted as opposed to shutting down, the pc was not too bad. Maybe too many blue screens and stuff but I just put that down to windows.

Sometimes if I had no choice but to shut down or the pc crashed and switched off completely, the pc would boot up again no problem. Other times I got the "no memory modules present" beep. After around 15 - 30 minutes the pc would generally boot up.

More and more regularly I got this beep on a boot up until a few weeks ago when the pc refused to boot up at all. I removed the memory, checked it was clean etc and on boot up got as far as the windows logo before it crashed and switched off, never to get past the dreaded beep again.

I got a mate to check the memory module in his pc and he had major problems confirming that the memory was faulty.

That was 2 weeks ago, when I sent the memory back (which I am still waiting for!!!)
Meantime my mate let me borrow an identical memory module to the one I had sent back since he has 512mb (which was good of him!).

I have been using his memory module for about 4 days and last night I shut the pc down for the third time and guess what? the dreaded beep!! I'm getting the same message, telling me there is no memory present! the pc wont boot up at all!
Have I killed my mates memory? I have to think the worst, that I have. So now when (if?) my faulty memory is replaced, i'll have to give it straight to my mate........!!!

The temperature on booting after using the pc heavily was never higher than 54 degrees (once). Usually around 50 though. I have 2 fans on the motherboard and one on the processor which was fitted at the place of purchase. There is also a case fan.

I thought I had found a forum where people had similar problems to me about a week ago but cos my other pc is goosed I don't know where that was.

Can anyone please shed any light on this problem!
Sorry about the extremely long post.
Old Jul 07, 2002, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Have yu tried the memory in different slots, or are you using the same slot all the time. Have you also tried a differnet graphics card. At worst the board is faulty.
Old Jul 07, 2002, 01:11 PM

May be the mother board get a new one of them in too! Just to be safe. Just take it back and say its faulty.
Old Jul 07, 2002, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Are you sure you're using the correct Memory for your board??

According to the [URL=***********.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?model=866AS&submit=Go]Crucial Memory calculator you should be running a max of CAS 2.5 and not the CAS 2 DDR Memory you have.

Also, according to [URL=***********.amd3d.com/review/jet866as/feature.htm]This Page your mainboard only supports PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM and not PC2400 as you're using.

I know that using an [i]Overspec'd[/i] Memory should be okay running at the lower speed but it may be a factor.

Your board also supports a whole host of overclocking tools for memory, make sure you are not inadvertently overclocking the memory.

Im not saying this IS the problem but it may be worth looking into.

Last edited by CHR15; Jul 07, 2002 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 01:03 PM

I haven't tried different slots for the memory.

I'm not certain that I'm using the correct memory for the motherboard either.

How do I know if I'm overclocking the memory? Would this damage the memory?
Old Jul 08, 2002, 03:53 PM
Veteran

Check your bios settings for the dram timings and check them over with your motherboard manual.

You should've had your mate check the first ram stick you had before sending it back to see if it was your motherboard acting up.

Possibly try updating the bios.