CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 27, 2002, 02:26 PM

Default How to download from newsgroups

sponsored links

OK, I've seen a lot of people asking questions on how to download from newsgroups (aka usenet). I prefer to use newsgroups to download movies than some of the other file sharing programs because it is usually A LOT faster (about 300 Kb/sec with a broadband connection compared to the average 10 Kb/sec I get from the peer to peer programs) and I don't have to worry about the other guy logging off early. So here's my quick and dirty tutorial to the world of newsgroups:

1. Get YOUR news server address. Almost all ISP's give access to newsgroups, some more than others. Look at any documents or manuals they gave you.. or simply call them and ask. For example, my email ends in cfl.rr.com and my news server address is news-server.cfl.rr.com (no this will not work for you.. unless you're a central florida roadrunner user If you don't know yours - CALL!

2. Download a newsreader like Agent ot Xnews and also download WinRar. You can get these from www.download.com

3. Download SmartPAR from www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/
This is used to fill in any incomplete posts... in a perfect world, you wouldn't need this program.. but some news servers are not as good as others.

4. Start up your news reader program and enter your news server address when prompted (you may be asked for your SMTP address too.. this is just so you can post to the group.)

5. Locate the groups you want to download from and subsribe to them. The rules don't allow me to post the names of the groups but they're not dificult to find. Search for movies in the name, and make sure the name begins with alt.binaries. Now you're ready to start downloading whatever.

6. Files are generally split into many posts and need to be combined with WinRAR to get the end file. For example:

Monsters Inc.rar
Monsters Inc.r01
Monsters Inc.r02
Monsters Inc.r03
Monsters Inc.r04
etc..

Make sure you get all of them.. if any are incomplete, download the parity (PAR) files (.par, .p01, .p02, etc) and use SmaprtPAR to restore. You only need one Par file for each incomplete or corrupted piece (and the one ending in .par). Use WinRAR to combine the parts into an .avi, .mpg or whatever and enjoy. I use this technique to download new, dvd ripped movies (I prefer divX personally) in about 1 hour or so.

I hope this guide helps some of you. Feel free to add anything I missed.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 10:24 PM

nice job DaveMode butt ehhh is there a site with screen shots explaining how to do this cause am just a little confused this is the first time am reading this. so i dont what you to think that u didnt do a nice job am just saying cause am confused otherwise this is excellent for those "know so much dc people" thanks dave nice work.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 08:32 AM

I'm sure there probably is a site out there with screenshots of this process.. I've been considering putting one together myself. If I get some free time I'll make one. Feel free to let me know if something isn't clear and I'll try to be more specific.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 12:13 AM

i still dont understand wat the hell is newsgroup
Old Jan 29, 2002, 08:09 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by noname87 [/i]
[B]i still dont understand wat the hell is newsgroup [/B]
OK, the easiest way to explain this is that to remember that the internet does not only consist of the world wide web.. there's e-mail, FTP's, etc, and NEWSGROUPS. Almost all internet providers give you access to newsgroups.. they're just easily overlooked. Posting large files on these newsgroups in the past was kind of ugly, but thanks to software like Agent and Xnews, you can now browse for attached files much easier.. When someone posts something like say, the new DVD release of Star Wars to a newsgroup, it gets spread to every news server out there. This is why it is so fast.. because you are basically downloading the movie right from your own internet provider, versus some guy in Hong Kong who's on a 56K..
Old Feb 09, 2002, 01:40 AM

hi i got xnews i have no idea how to get files!! pls help