CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 09, 2002, 12:59 PM

Unhappy

sponsored links

I'm at college and I can't find the news server information any where. Is there any other ways to find out what it is?
Old Feb 10, 2002, 05:54 PM

Hope this helps:

First of all like DaveMode mentioned the internet is not just the WWW, their are other things. Now your ISP has a news server, for example my ISP is NTL and for me to access their newsgroups server I have to use a News Reader (Xnews, Forte Agent, Outlook and others). In order to access them, your isp provides you with an address to connect to the news server. NTL's is news.ntlworld.com, with me so far????

I use Forte Agent, after installing it, it will pop up with a setup page and thats where you configure the news server i.e. news.ntlworld.com. When configured you must download the list of groups from your ISP. After retriving that you have to subscribe to a group and download the messages from that particular group. There are literally thousands of groups and each of them for different things. For example: alt.binaries.games (for games), alt.binaries.images (Iso, cdrom images ready for burning). Now when you download the messages for each group you will see files like DaveMode has mentioned above, you have to download each file and save it to your HD. RAR files is a compression like Winzip except WinRAR gives you the option of splitting the files into smaller segments so it becomes easier to download. (Imagine downloading a 100MB file and half way it suddenly disconnects, a right bummer if u ask me have to start all the way from the beggining again, with smaller segments, it saves you downloading files over and over again). Anyways back to the subject, when you download all the rar files, you must extract the file(s) from the RAR file and hey you have your prize. I have seen a few sites showing step by step instructions with pictures on the net but I do not have any links to them, if I do come across I will post them, but for now, I hope all this helps.......

irie dragon it depends if your college has given you permission to access that, I very much doubt it has but ask one of the administrators at the college and he/she may be able to help you.

Alam

Last edited by alamski; Feb 10, 2002 at 05:59 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:01 AM

Default Wow!

Finally someone who knows what he is talking about! Many thanks!

All I need to now is:

I'm using a tool called powergrab... in the newsgroup. But when I start the program, it tells me to scan the newsgroup... I do that... Then... It s a blurr. I just don't know how to use that tool and there are no infos to explain how to. Help!
Old Dec 09, 2004, 06:20 PM

Unhappy Keeps telling me access denied??

Everything works fine until i try and download the list. Then it just says access denied?? Whats going on here?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:52 PM

Default help

i cant find a newsgroup wich i can download from caN U TELL ME ONE