CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 12, 2002, 09:27 PM
Veteran

Default recycle bin help

sponsored links

well i recently downloaded teh matrix deleted it but the wierd thing is evertime i click empty the recyle bin my pc freezes and only when i empty the recycle bin.. so i cant throw anything aaway .. by the way im runnign windows 2000 ... anyhelp please?
Old Jul 12, 2002, 09:33 PM

********support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q136/5/17.asp
********support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q246/7/26.asp
-------------------------------------------

***********.sanctuary4u.com/WizardOfDOS/rc.html

How To Clean a Dirty Recycle Bin

This is the first step and it requires that you START at the DOS Prompt. The Recycle Bin will
not be cleaned if this is tried from the Windows Exit To DOS Prompt. U must do a Clean Boot to
the DOS Prompt.

{ ********support.microsoft.com/support/windows/readme/Win98se/w98sesetuptxt.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0#PERFORMING
} Microsoft Searchable Knowledge Base - PERFORMING A CLEAN BOOT.

To start with the DOS Prompt, start with the System Off. Then, while starting the system, you
will need to either boot from a floppy or bring up the DOS ‘Windows Start Menu’. This is called
doing a clean boot. To bring up the DOS ‘Windows Start Menu’, hit the F8 key when the prompt
‘Starting Windows 9x’ appears {or just a bit sooner is OK} just prior to the Windows Start-Up
Screen. This menu contains several choices with either choice # 6 or # 7 {depends on system
configurations} being ‘Command Prompt Only’ . Chose that one. You should end up at the DOS
Prompt

{ C:\> }

or, if booting from a floppy, the "A" prompt

{ A:\> }

Type in the following:

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\Deltree C:\RECYCLED

Note the space between Deltree and the C:\. Hit your Enter or Return key.

You will be prompted with a warning that all content will be lost if you delete this folder.
Are you sure you want to do this? Say Yes. Repeat for each drive.
IE: C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\Deltree D:\RECYCLED ; C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\Deltree E:\RECYCLED ; and so
on…. The Recycled folder will automatically be recreated when you reboot to windows.

NOTE: The Recycle Bin that is corrupted may take a while to delete. B patient and let it
complete. I would call 20 minutes a patient amount of time {grins}. This occurrence will
further confirm that corruption did in fact occur.

That’s all there is to it. The reason it won’t work from the Windows DOS Prompt is because
that one starts up inside a Window’s Window {big grin} The Recycle folder is still in an
access mode and will give you same error warning as when you attempt to empty while in Windows.
{bigger grin}

Now, run ScanDisk with a Surface Scan. This is the second step.

Running an unattended ScanDisk from DOS

Still at the DOS Prompt, type:

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANDISK /all /autofix /nosave /nosummary /surface

Hit Enter. B Careful of the spaces. I will retype replacing the spaces with an underscore to
show them better.

{ C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANDISK_/all_/autofix_/nosave_/nosummary_/surface }

I would suggest U run this at night just before going to bed. IF your hard drive has developed
more than one bad spot and if the free space on drive is critically limited, even this scandisk
may fail. Deletion of files to free up more drive space and persistently repeating the DOS
Scandisk and surface scan will finally clear up problem. I would seriously recommend purchasing
another drive and retrieving data while it still exists. Then donate that old drive to your
college or local computer trade school. They love tearing them apart to see the innards
{morbid grins}. Trust me, a drive that begins developing bad spots is close to expiring. This
does not mean that if your drive has one or two bad spots that it is also doomed to a short
life. Indeed, I had one drive that had 4 bad spots marked on it and it lasted me well over 4
years J But a regular increase in the number of bad spots and/or over 7% of drive becoming
marked as bad is without doubt a bad sign.

-------------------------------------------------

Try the following
1. Boot your computer using a CLEAN floppy boot disk
2. At the dos prompt, type the following commands:
FDISK /MBR
3. To wipe out the recycle bin for good, type the following:
DELTREE /Y C:\RECYCLED\*.*

Note: the FDISK /MBR will re-write the master boot record on your
hard drive with the clean one from the floppy. This will not erase
any of your data.

Now reboot & your bin will be restored .

----------------------------------------------

Another fix here .
********support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q136517